Chapter 16

Eliana's POV

I know I said I needed someone to save me from the awkwardness but Melissa was anything but the ideal choice.

I almost want to sink right back into the awkwardness.

Not that it won't be awkward with Melissa here.

I just prefer that awkwardness over this one.

Heck, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna end up third-wheeling.

Again.

"Oh my, Eliana are you alright? I'm sorry I couldn't come sooner I had things to do," she said with a concerned tone which seemed so genuine, I almost believed her if it wasn't for the fact that she's a horrible person.

"It's alright, I'm fine," I said giving her a small smile.

"I heard Alex is keeping you company since you can't come to the dining room and I think that's a great idea so you won't be left alone. I hope you don't mind if I join you. I'd love to get to know you more since we'll be seeing each other a lot," she explained.

Yeah, I totally want to spend more time with you so you can glare at me and make me feel small.

Not.

"Yeah sure," I said plastering on a fake smile.

She called over a maid who had her plate and another who had a chair and they kept it for her.

They both left and she sat down, pretty close to Alexander.

Not that it bothered me.

I just didn't want to be stuck in the same room as a third wheel.

A few minutes in and her words were thrown right out the window.

Completely ignoring my presence, Melissa had proceeded to chat with Alexander like I wasn't even there.

So much for wanting to get to know me better.

Like seriously if they both just wanted to talk to each other why don't they just go eat together alone instead of making me sit here and listen to their conversation.

It's giving me a strong sense of de ja vu which was completely unpleasant as it brought back sad memories.

I'm literally stuck in this cycle.

I let out a low sigh, grabbing the book and opening it in my lap while returning to eating, being extremely careful not to get anything on the book, as I dove back into the world I've grown to love.

That's the best thing about books.

They take you to a different world with no worries other than for the character's safety, your favourite couples getting together and what the had guy would do next.

It's much nicer than the real world.

If only I could be a book character.

One that's brave and confident and has many people who love her.

I shook my head to wipe away the thought.

There's no use pondering over stuff that I don't have. It only depresses me more.

By the time I was done eating, I was only a few pages away from the end.

It was so thrilling that I just flew through the story without even noticing.

I lifted my head up from the book to find Alexander and Melissa still deep in conversation, with their plates still half full.