Chapter 18

Alexander's POV

"Sorry to keep you waiting," Eliana says approaching me. She was dressed in a pair of black jeans and a white blouse, tucked in at the front and her hair was in a high ponytail. She was very casual but that didn't stop her from looking cute.

"Don't worry about it," I smiled at her and she gave me a small smile back.

She always did that, she never fully smiled. It always feels like she's holding back for some reason.

I want to ask her what's wrong, but I doubt she'd want to tell me.

Instead, I just move towards the door and say, "Let's go!"

I walk ahead of her, walking slowly so she can match my pace, then proceed to sign for the guard waiting by the door to open it for me, to let it go, causing him to bow and move aside. 

I open it instead and move aside for her to enter first, hearing her mutter a soft, "thank you," before following behind her. 

The car ride for the first few minutes was silent, neither of us speaking. I turn to look at her but she was glancing out the window, almost as if she was avoiding looking at me.

I clear my throat, startling her slightly in the process, and she turns and looks at me questioningly. I notice as she shifts her gaze around, waiting for me to speak but not making direct eye contact with me. 

I don't mention it and just say, "Don't you want to know where I'm taking you today?"

She raises her eyebrow in question and asks, "Where?"

"You don't sound curious or excited enough. Peter, take us back to the castle please," I call out jokingly.

"Seriously?"

"Yup."

"Unbelievable," she shakes her head, looking out the window and checking if he was actually driving us back. 

Luckily at that moment, he had to take a u-turn which made her turn to me looking surprised.

"Alexander!" She exclaims and I get happier to see her show more reaction and talk to me more. 

"You have to show me you're excited first," I shrug my shoulders.

"Fine," she sighs, "Oh Alexander! Please tell me where this amazing place you are taking us is!" she bats her eyes for more effect. 

"Ok, not perfect but A* for effort."

She rolls her eyes and smiles a bit while shaking her head and I call out, "Sorry Peter, please drive us back to our destination."

"Which is?"

"My heart," I wink at her and smile and she gives me a deadpan expression. 

"Just kidding, just kidding," I laugh, "It's a surprise, beautiful."

She blushes at the word beautiful and looks down at her hands muttering quietly, "why did you ask me then?" 

I laugh as she turns to look back out the window and I can't help but smile at how cute she was being. 

These days, she has been avoiding me more often than usual and to be able to talk with her freely and joke together like this again made me happy. I couldn't help but think I might have done something, but I literally can't think of anything I could have done when we don't spend that much time together originally. 

I do want to spend time with her, but the feeling does not seem mutual. It's like a wall is built in front of her, to stop me from getting close but I don't understand why. I guess, with the situation we're in, she doesn't want to get too close and I can't blame her. 

I let her be for the rest of the ride, sitting back and staring out the window on my side, trying to think of ways to lighten up her mood again later. 

We reach our destination, and I get out of the car first and hold out a hand to help her out. She takes it with a slight hesitation and gets out, letting go of my hand straight away. 

I don't let that dampen my mood though, trying to stay optimistic. 

"Eliana, I present to you Ainsley's Home for the Elderly."

At that moment, as I turn to look at Eliana, I find myself engulfed in a hug by a short, sweet old lady whose hugs I've gotten used to yet still love all the same. I turn to the person and smile at her fondly, Grandma Adele. 

"Hello there, lovely," I say hugging her back and she laughs letting go of me and holding my face. Her hands were wrinkled with age and warm, making me feel loved by how tenderly she held my face. She always looked at me as if I were her real grandson. With all the love the world has to offer. 

"My little Alexander, where have you been? My, have I missed you," she says softly smiling at me and I find myself smiling back. Then suddenly, the smile is wiped off my face as I find my cheeks pushed together and my lips puckered, her wedding ring surely leaving a mark on my cheek, "How could you not come visit me for such a long while," she scolds and I mutter small 'ow's which come out sounding super squished. 

I hear a giggle and we both turn to look at Eliana; I hunched over and looking absolutely ridiculous I'm sure, and Grandma Adele with her eyes wide, wondering who is this girl I've brought with me. This would be the first time after all. 

And I can't help but feel happy, that I got her to laugh, albeit while being embarrassed in a childlike situation. It has been a while since I've seen her laugh in my direction. 

"And who is this pretty little lady," Grandma Adele finally releasing my cheek and moving towards Eliana whose eyes shift to mine unknowing what to do. 

"Grandma Adele," I say moving to stand beside Eliana, "This is Eliana."

Grandma Adele takes Eliana's hands excitedly and asks, "Your girlfriend?" shifting her gaze from me to her and then back. 

I look at Eliana who blushes and stutters, unsure how to answer and I let out an awkward laugh scratching the back of my neck, "Not exactly Grandma, but she is someone special."

At my words, Eliana's head shifts to me and she looks surprised at my words and I just give her a smile. 

"Well, anyone who is special to Alexander, is special to me," she pats Eliana's cheek lovingly, and Eliana smiles, her eyes having an emotion I can't quite put my finger on. She looked touched.

"Come darlings, let's go inside. I'm sure you want to show your little lady around," Grandma Adele says holding Eliana's hand still and pulling her to the entrance of the main building. 

Eliana turns to look at me, and I smile at her and follow behind them. 

*~*~*~*~*~*

A/N

Aaaaaaaaah, I'm back!

I apologize every time I update and we all know why (cuz I suck IM SORRY I AM ASHAMED)

Life is hectic lol I am a uni student now y'all, crazy right? 

I'm actually having a great time in uni, I love it. Strange I know but maybe it's because I'm a foundation student or cuz i'm an arts student aka future English Major yassss. 

This chapter is dedicated to my number one fan, my bestie Menna who helped me write this by giving me ideas and helping me put my ideas into a flow because I'm still trying to get back into my writing flow bear with me please.

This time I promise an update after this will come soon within the next few days! I've already started writing and I know where to go from here so it's all good.

Thanks for all your patience y'all!!

Love y'all loads and as usual feedback is always appreciated~ 

~Fawzia <3