Chapter 1

Night shift guarding the dorms of the academy. Well you had to start somewhere, being straight out of training. You sighed as you leaned on the step behind the on you were sitting on and looked at the sky. The stars sparkling in the dark sky, the quiet in the city made it quite peaceful. You never could get a peaceful time in Zaun. It was always chaotic, full of crime, you hoped to change that. Steps coming towards you snapped you out of your thoughts as you looked ahead of you. wondering who it could be. It was another enforcer, you guessed that you wouldn't be the only one stationed. But upon closer inspection, you recognized him, he was friends with Greyson and he helped supervise training. "Marcus?" You questioned.

"Hm?" You caught him off guard. He had been lost in thought similarly to you before you spoke.

"Aren't you one of the more experienced enforcers? What are you doing in a beginner's night shift?" You chuckled a bit, it honestly seemed almost comedic that Marcus would take up this job or even be offered it.

He sighed, "My psych check didn't go well." He sat beside you. "I'm unfit for the field but Grayson was nice and let me still work in beginner jobs."

You nodded. "Oh..." You said somewhat quietly. He nodded, not really knowing what to say. "How's your daughter doing?" You talked quite a bit with Greyson and Marcus while in your training and it didn't take much talking before you heard about Marcus's daughter.

"She doesn't want to talk about any of her problems with me. I guess she takes after her dad." He smiled a bit, although the smile was just full of pain.

You bit your lip nervously. "You know, it's not healthy to just hide it."

He shrugged. "It's the only thing I know and so far so good."

"Didn't you just fail your psych check?" You pointed out, which just received a glare from the man. You looked in front of you, looking out into the night. "Why don't you stay home with your daughter?"

"I guess I'm distracting myself with work." You looked at him. "And before you say it, yes I know it's unhealthy." You shrugged, looking ahead of you again.

Glass breaking could be heard from afar, causing you to stand up, alerted. Your eyes darted to the direction it came from, where a hooded man landed on the ground, glanced back at you then started running the other way. You looked up to see a broken window from one of the dorms on the second floor. "Hey! Stop right there!" You started running before hearing footsteps behind you, coming from Marcus. You threw the weapon that was given to all Enforcers, used to trap the opponent, although this opponent easily dodged it. You and Marcus continued chasing him through twists and turns until you eventually lost him.

"God damnit." Marcus cursed.

"We should probably head back to the dorms to see exactly what happened." You suggested. Marcus nodded in agreement. You walked back to the dorms, once again seeing the broken window.

"Come on, let's investigate inside." Marcus walked up the stairs to the dorm doors. He opened the door before looking back at you. You nodded, going up the stairs and walking inside. When Marcus closed the door behind you, it went dark. You got out your flashlight and put it on, Marcus did the same.

"It was the second floor, right?" You looked at Marcus, who nodded. You two headed to the stairs, going up to the second floor. "Should be 205."

Marcus pulled out his gun, readying it. You gave him a confused look. "Just in case."

"A enforcer who failed his psych check pulling out his gun in the dark just in case. Comforting." You commented. Marcus rolled his eyes as you approached the door. You knocked on the door, "Enforcers! Open up!" There was no response. "Enforcers! Open up or we will kick open the door!" Once again no response. "This is your last warning!" Since there was no response you kicked open the door. You entered the room, right when you did you widened your eyes at what you saw. A dead body. As soon as the flashlight shined on the girl's face, you dropped the flashlight.