Chapter 9: Open Heart

Arthir groaned as his eyes slowly fluttered open. He struggled to grasp his surroundings, feeling a bit dizzy for a moment. He closes his eyes again, gathering his bearings. That's right, he was shot by an assassin. He opened his eyes again, eyes moving from left to right to find that he was in a fairly dark room, but light slowly began to peer through the glass window.

He sat up, wincing a bit.

Suddenly, he heard a door slide open.

"Arthir!" That voice.

Arthir turns to the source, a familiar royal rushing to his side. "Cyris-"

Before anything could be finished, Cyris wrapped his arms around Arthir gently, being careful. Arthir hugs backs, listening to Cyris's voice. "Thank goodness...Oh Arthir..."

"I'm here, Cyris." Arthir rubs his back.

"Yes..."

"How long have I been unconscious?"

"A few days." Cyris replies, pulling away to sit beside his fiance properly. Arthir lifts his shirt to see bandages wrapped around his torso. "...What happened?"

"You're alright, Arthir." Cyris said immediately. "He missed your vitals and I found you just in time. Does it hurt?"

Arthir had nothing to worry about since Bestetian's medical technology is highly advanced. "I feel a bit sore, but...the assassin?"

Cyris looked away, staring at the door. Arthir couldn't see his fiance's expression, but he could feel how tense Cyris had suddenly become and he could see his shoulder's trembling in evident rage. Arthir leans his body against Cyris's back, placating the man easily. "He's dead."

"..."

Arthir had expected it, but he wondered if they were able to extract information out of him. "Did I...?"

"You didn't kill him." Cyris said. "He was unconscious."

"..."

"I managed to make him talk when he woke up. He was sent by your family to steal data and assassinate me if you were pregnant." Cyris's tone was especially bitter at the mention of Arthir's family. Arthir could already guess why they wanted Cyris dead if he was pregnant. It was truly power they wanted and control over the heir of the Bestetian Empire.

"...You understand what must be done, right?" Cyris asked, voice low.

Arthir knew what must be done...

"They can't play the fool when everything the assassin had said has been recorded with evidence." Cyris adds.

"I understand."

Cyris turns his body, reaching out his hand to cup the side of Arthir's face. With a smile, he strokes Arthir's cheek with his thumb. His smile slowly fades as he said, "You've taught me forgiveness and what it means to love, but I don't think I have it in me to forgive anyone who hurts you Arthir. I...I'm sorry..."

"Cyris..." Arthir calls him name softly. "I understand how you feel Cyris...If something were to happen to you...If that assassin somehow manages to kill you...I...I don't know what I would do."

"Arthir." Cyris gently presses their foreheads together, closing their eyes to relish in the silence.

I just wish I could've told you.

Arthir recalls that moment, heart pounding painfully against his chest, but now it's different. It's a wish and he will grant it himself. The opportunity was always there and it was time he took it and opened his heart and everything to Cyris.