Chapter 3: Whats Under the House

HICCUPS POV.

Toothless zipped through the sky that was slowly brightening as the sun rose over the horizon. Hiccup looked back behind them happy to see that all the younger dragons were still following enticed by the sweet smell of fish that emanated from the jar.

Toothless yawned and Hiccup looked down at his friend, his dragons eyelids were sleepily shutting.

"Just a little longer bud." He patted Toothless's neck. "Where almost there." He reassured and Toothless let out an irritated growl/yawn. Hiccup checked behind him again to check the younger dragons. They were all closely failing them.

"Hey bud you think you can speed up a bit? Last thing we want is one of those guys latching onto your tail thinking it's a snack?"  Hiccup said, Toothless moved his head to the side and sent his ear flying into Hiccups face almost like saying 'I'm about ten minutes from falling asleep, tell me to speed up again I'll do it in the air.'

Soon their destination was in sight, their home. The island loomed closer like an charging opponent, and then they were soaring above it. Below, the vast forests and grassy fields of his island where cluttered with dragons, since the new battles with the Dragon Hunters and saving and relocating all the captured dragons to the island the dragon population on his island must have grown by at least 350. At least.

Toothless swooped into a oasis, kinda like the one on Berk. There was multiple oasis's on his island some of them where even naturally heated from inside the island so on the colder days those oasis's where like Valhalla. But the one they had just entered was more for the kids, baby dragons more specifically. Dozens of them shuffled of flew around the oasis jumping from tree to tree of splashing in the deep pond in the middle of the oasis. The babies that were following Hiccup and Toothless got a single look at oasis and almost dove straight first into the pond snatching up all the varieties of fish that resided in it.

An adult Nadder and two adult Groncels stomped around squawking or roaring at the babies trying to keep them from flying off. It was one of the most amazing things about dragons in Hiccups opinion. The adult dragons in the oasis, they were like babysitters for the babies. They themselves had lost there children to the Dragon Hunters so they watched after other younger dragons that don't have their own parents. Hiccup smiled as he saw a newly arrived baby Monstrous Nightmare nuzzle up closely to the adult Nadder it beginning to comfort the baby, truly amazing.

Toothless flew away from the oasis and across the island to Hiccups house landing out front instantly almost throwing Hiccup off his saddle.

"Hey, take it easy grumpy!" Hiccup said after almost being thrown to the ground by Toothless. The dragon wandered up to the front door and pawed the handle opening the door by himself stepping inside and moseying over to a spot by the fire place where a small fire still smoldered. Toothless yawned and shut his eyes.

"You want something to eat bud?" He asked but Toothless was already asleep. Hiccup smiled and walked quietly over to a counter in his house and removed his helmet. He should probably already be asleep but he couldn't. Even though it was just becoming morning. It wasn't that he didn't want to, he just, couldn't. Hiccup unclipped part of his chest plate and a leather notebook fell out into his hand and on his arm he pulled out of a small sheath a charcoal pencil. Yes, he has a sheath for a pencil.

Hiccup sat down in a chair beside the fire and opened his notebook. On the first page there was a drawing of Toothless lying in the grass, on the second there was a drawing of Toothless hanging upside down in a tree asleep. Just like when they had first been getting to know one another. He flipped a page and there was another drawing of Toothless except this one he was covered in baby dragons. Hiccup laughed at the particular upset face his friend had had when he had drawn this picture. Hiccup flipped through more pages, drawings of dragons, or of visually appealing landscapes, even the occasional illustration of people who he'd met since he became the Night Rider or people from Berk like his cousin, or the twins and Fishlegs, his father made a few appearances and so did Gobber.