Chapter 39: Business

HICCUPS POV.

Hiccup was lying on the floor in the corner of one of the two cells. After Heathers unexpected betrayal, he'd been forcefully shoved into a cell. He'd tried to fight back, but Heather and Ryker fighting together had made quick work of him. Once in the cell they'd then proceeded to strip him of his armor and weapons. Viggo had complimented their craft.

He'd been stripped out of his under clothes as well. The only thing they'd left him with were his underwear and prosthetic foot. Ryker had then proceeded to beat on him. His fists had caused two dozen bruises across his skin, and a dozen more cuts in his flesh which bled steadily. After minuets of abuse and Ryker left, shutting and locking the cell door behind him, he'd thought that maybe he'd finally gotten a momentary break. Just for Ryker and Dagur to rush back in and hurl two buckets of water on him. After that, he was left completely alone. Heather, Viggo, Dagur, and Ryker left. Left him shivering and beaten. Worrying about Toothless, and wondering why Heather had betrayed him. For the life of him he couldn't think of why. Only of Astrids suspicions of her. If he ever saw her again, she'd never let him live this down.

And where was his father? Was he dead? Hiccup hoped not. He'd tried his best to limit the death caused by his hands. Even after the loss of his island and the needless death of so many dragons he'd painstakingly kept himself from killing his enemies. Even if he'd had some close calls. But, if they'd killed his father. He wouldn't be able to stop himself anymore.

Hiccup gets lost in his own thoughts, and loses track of the time that passes. Through a small window he saw the sky become black. He was fairy certain he must have drifted into sleep, because it was then early morning in a blink of an eye. That's when someone came into the prison.

Heather opened the door and entreated. She shut it behind her and walked over to his cell. She looked down to his beaten self, and was hoping to see a form of sadness, hopefully some regret of her actions on her face. That she'd regret it and free him. But no. The only thing on her face was rage, and that rage was for him.

"Why?" He asked, sitting up from the stone ground.

"Dagur."

"What about Dagur?"

"You kept him from me! When you knew what he did to me! When you knew what he took from me!" She yelled, her rage full voice echoing around the room.

"That's why you betrayed me?" He exclaimed. "Because I kept Dagur from you! I had to get answers, find his fleet! You would have killed him!"

"Yes!" Heather yelled loudly, slamming her hand up against the bars so hard it startled him. "I would have ripped out his heart!"

"Well, why don't you do it now? He's on this island!" He questioned.

Heather removed her hand from the bars and rolled her eyes. "Because, Hiccup. Now I know he's my brother."

He stood up from the ground and walked over towards Heather, the only thing between them were the bars.

"How does that make a difference? He still killed your family! Your adoptive family, and your real father when he overthrew him!" Heather logic made no sense to him, but it had to for her. Because she never would've betrayed him if she wasn't sure.

"Yeah. But he's the only family I have now."

He rolled his eyes and walked away from the bars. He slid down onto the floor using the wall. A realization dawned on him.

"You told the Hunters where my island was." He stated, the realization more clear than ever.

"Yeah."

"How much of that sob-story you fed me and Astrid was fake?" He demanded to know.

"Most of it. After I learned that Dagur was my only family left, I couldn't fight him anymore. I changed sides. Was let out of the cage you're in now! Came up with that dumb story for you and Astrid! Everything that's happened since I told you that story was all part of Viggo's plan!"

"Oh yeah, like what?" He asked.

"How about you father? I'm the one that suggested he go to Berserker Island. Viggo knew that if he could capture your father, you'd come willingly and peacefully."

Hiccup couldn't believe what he was hearing. "You. Led my father into a trap?" He asked. Had he heard her right? For someone who'd lost two families? How could she have so willingly put his in jeopardy. "My uncle died!"

For a brief moment her confident look faltered. "That wasn't supposed to happen." She explained. "None of the Berkians were supposed to die. They were all supposed to be bargaining chips. But they just wouldn't stop fighting."

"Toothless? Where's Toothless?" He asker her. A few days ago, he could have never imagined being so worried that Heather could have been part of the murder of his best friend. But now, waiting for her response, he was far beyond just nervous.

"Fine. In a cage. I didn't let them hurt him." Her words made him feel a little better.

The door to the prison opened again and in strolled Dagur. The chieftain took one look at him and broke into his signature deranged laugh. "Brother, this is a good look for you. Prisoner, it works." Dagur said, enjoying his imprisonment far too much.

"Where's my father, Dagur?" He demanded to know. Before Dagur could enter the door swung inward once more, and in slowly stepped Viggo.

Viggo shot Dagur and Heather a look and the siblings left the room without him having to say a single word. Viggo approached the bars to his cell and looked downwards on him. "Dagur was right. This is a good look on you."

"Where's my father? Is he alive?"

"Oh, Hiccup. How dare you assume I'd call you here under false pretenses. Of corse your father's alive." Viggo told him.

"Where is he?" Hiccup demanded.

Viggo waited in a moment of silence. "How do you see my hunting of dragons Hiccup? Do you see it as cruel? Murderous? Evil, perhaps?" Viggo asked him.

"All of those and more."

"Well. You're wrong. Because it's none of those things, my boy. It's simply business." Viggo kneeled down on the outside of the cell to be at a closer eye level with him. "And do you know what the biggest threats to my business have been?"

"Me." Hiccup stated.

"Exactly! You, Heather and whatever other riders you got from Berk. You were all bad for my business. But now, Heather's on my team. You'll be dead soon, Dagur will see to it. And...Berk will be ashes."

"Ashes? What do you mean, Viggo?"

Viggo scoffed and stood back up. Hiccup stood up quickly as well.

"Berk will be destroyed. Set to burn like your island." Explained Viggo.

"No! You can't do that!" He exclaimed.

Viggo laughed softly. "Of course I can. The fleet has already been dispatched, led by my brother. They'll be to Berk by the afternoon. And in twenty four hours, my business will be running smoother than it has since you first put on that ridiculous helmet."

"No, no, Viggo! What about the deal? You kill me and Berk lives. You can hunt freely outside the Archipelago! After all, I can't stop you!"

"Yes, but your friends could. That's why they need to go. All of them, including your father." Said Viggo.

"What?"

"Oh, I forgot to tell you. Before Berks destruction. Ryker will kill your father for the whole of Berk to behold. Then, Berk will burn. I only wish I could be there to see it." Viggo broke into laughter.

"No, Viggo! Please don't! I'll do anything!" He pleaded.

Viggo walked towards the exit of the prison. "My dearest Hiccup. The only thing you can do now is wait for your execution."