Chapter 13: Re-introductions

ASTRIDS POV.

The crowd disbanded quickly. Vikings scrambled off in each direction probably going to tell as many people as they could that their heir, the Night Rider, Hiccup, had reappeared. Of course, Hiccup also accidentally almost beheaded a few of them by throwing his flaming sword in rage. So that could be another strong reason why they left.

Astrid stood by Stormfly observing Hiccup. He walked slowly over to where his flaming sword was buried in a wall. His strut was stiff and wooden. He was still angry; she should probably find out why at some point. Although, she was slightly worried that if she did, he'd get onto his Night Fury and never come back. Another thing she needed to ask him, how he even found her and why the chief of the Berserker's wanted him so badly.

Astrid watched as Hiccup pulled his sword from the house and retracted the blade back into the hilt, he then tied it to his left thigh. Hiccup leaned up against the house with his head and even from where Astrid was standing, she could hear his long, drawn out, defeated sounding exhale.

Toothless was standing beside Astrid watching Hiccup with sad eyes. His dragon really cared for him; she could see it in its eyes. Toothless emitted a sad coo and Astrid reached down and placed her hand on his dragon-scaled neck, giving him a soft rub. Astrid wondered if Toothless was also afraid about confronting Hiccup. Astrid was afraid that if she went up to him he'd leave, maybe Toothless was afraid that if he did Hiccup would abandon him.

That idea was preposterous, Hiccup would never leave Toothless. Maybe that meant that her worry was preposterous as well, he wouldn't leave her right. Astrid took a step towards him and then stopped herself. He would leave, he had before.

Toothless brushed past Astrid and walked around in front of Hiccup. Toothless sat down and cocked his head. Toothless leaned down and nuzzled Hiccups hand. Astrid could see Hiccup lightly pat his dragon which gave her the courage to approach him.

"Hiccup." She said rounding to the front of him. She noticed things about him that she hadn't noticed earlier. The skin beneath his eyes was a shade of light purple and sagged, his armor was cracked and damaged, and he needed to shave because of a faint beard. But he looked cute in a ragged sort of way, Astrid turned red at the thought. "How are you?"

Hiccup sighed. He opened his mouth like he was going to respond but he stopped himself, shrugging in the end.

"Why did Dagur attack us?" She asked. Astrid hoped he would actually answer this question because she felt like she deserved and answer.

Hiccup sighed again and shook his head. He turned more towards her and he brough his gaze up to hers. For a moment, Astrids heart fluttered.

"Dagur's joined with the Dragon Hunters." Hiccup said, "I was holding him, interrogating him for weeks trying to find the location of his fleet that was vital to the hunters armada." One of Hiccups hands were balled into a fist.

"And then what happened?" She asked. Hiccup looked away from her and he looked sad again. Astrid reached out towards Hiccups arm and brushed against it with her fingers and she saw him slightly smile.

"I had this partner or, have a partner she's alive...barely. Thats why I'm here I knew Goathy was the only healer that could save her."

Astrid felt as if someone evil had stabbed her in a chest with a knife made of molten steel. 'Her'. Hiccups partner was a girl. Suddenly Astrid felt jealous of whoever Hiccups partner was. Did she know who he was? Were they close? Were they... together? Astrid was fuming with jealousy until she saw Hiccups sad face, and remembered that he had said that she was barely alive.

"Dagur had planned to be captured, told his fleet to wait until the two of us attacked which they did. It was a tough battle Astrid, a lot of people died. Heather almost joined them."