Chapter 36: All But One

THE NIGHT RIDER/HICCUPS POV.

Toothless was hovering in the air. The fleet wasn't like many of the fleets he had fought recently. There were no ballistas or catapults. Not that ships these size could fit them, but still. They were barren on any large defenses. The only way they could defend themselves would be with the Berserkers that crowded the ships decks to use bows or crossbows.

The fleet was approaching in a v-formation. The ship at the front of the formation was obviously the capstone vessel. It was larger, and had terrifying images painted over its wooden surfaces.

Astrid flew up beside him on Stormfly, and Snotlout was following closely behind on his own dragon. A minute late, Heather on Windshear arrived as well.

"Berserkers." Said Heather.

"Not just any Berserkers." The Night Rider raised an arm and pointed towards a man standing triumphantly on the front of the capstone vessel. "Dagur."

"Wait. I thought Stoick went to talk with him. Why is he here?" Asked Snotlout. No one answered him. The answer was obvious. Something had gone wrong.

The ships continued to approach, and when the lead ship got within ear shot all the boats began to raise their sails, coming to a smooth and gradual stop.

"Oh look!" Exclaimed Dagur. "It's my brother, and my sister. Now we're all one big happy family!" He gestured to Astrid. "Hey blondie, how ya been?"

"Oh be quite, Dagur!" Astrid snapped.

Dagur laughed. "Hey, Sis! How are you?" He called up to Heather. She didn't respond, only stared back down to him. "Fine. Have it your way. Brother! Why are you wearing that thing? I know who you are!"

"Yeah. But they don't." He said back, referring to the Berserkers that clogged the ships.

"True! You always were a smart one!" Dagur commented.

"What do you want, Dagur? You have a lot of nerve coming here! After what the Hunters did to my home!" The Night Rider asked. He didn't have the patience for Dagurs prolonged conversations.

"Oh, brother! Never wanting to just talk. Fine! Viggo sent me to collect you after you and my sister surrender to us!" Dagur said. His voice unwavering, like he actually thought they would.

"Why would they do that?" Asked Snotlout, chuckling at Dagurs proposal.

"Because we have your chief. He's imprisoned on Berserker Island. And if you don't surrender, he'll die." Dagurs words pierced the Night Rider better than any weapon could. They had his dad. Panic arose in his chest. But, he wouldn't let Dagur know.

"What about the others?" He asked, keeping his voice as steady as possible.

Dagur nervously gritted his teeth and raised his eyebrows, although he could see that Dagur was trying not to laugh. "They're dead." He said. "All of them. Died screaming. Except your chief."

"No. Dad." Said Snotlout. The Night Riders cousin gritted his fists and teeth. "Let's kill this guy Hooky!" Shouted Snotlout. Spitelout, Snotlouts father had gone with Stoick. Meaning that he's dead.

"Snotlout!" Said Astrid, stopping him. "I'm sorry. I know how you feel. But now isn't the time."

Snotlout reluctantly pulled back, tears streaming down his cheeks.

"You'll have your moment, Snotlout." He said. The Night Rider was in his own state of shock from his fathers capture and uncles death.

"Come back with us you two. Or else the chief is dead. And I know how much he matters to you, Night Rider." Dagur said. It was obvious he knew that Stoick was his dad.

"Hiccup, you can't be thinking about this!" Astrid whispered to him.

"I have to, Astrid. He's my father." He said. "He'll die if I don't."

"But..." Astrid began, but Heather cut her off mid sentence.

"Don't worry, Astrid. He'll be alright. I'm with him." Heather said.

He nodded at Heather confidently, which she returned.

"Just be safe." Astrid asked.

He looked back to her. "I will be." He said. The Night Rider turned his attention back to Dagur who was waiting patiently for his answer. "Fine, Dagur! Me and Heather will go!" He called out.

A smile crept across Dagurs face. "Oh, goody! A family trip! I can't wait!"

(Authors Note)
Okay, fixing a possible plot hole here. No Dragon Hunters or Berserkers knew where Hiccups island was. And you may be thinking Dagur would because of when he escaped from the island on the Shellfire, but that isn't the case. Dagur didn't sail, he drifted away and happened upon Berk. He doesn't know the way back, so he wouldn't know where it is. Plot hole fixed.

-Samuel Scutter