Chapter 35: Boats

HICCUPS POV.

Hiccup was sitting on a stool in front of an injured male Nadder that had arrived on Berk from his island. It was midday the following day, and Berkians were still working on helping the scores of injured dragons that had come from his home.

Hiccup was gently running a needle attached the thread through a tear in the Nadders wing. He'd been stitching up dragons for hours, and his hands ached badly. But, there were still many to go. Dozens of Berkians worked around him on other dragons. Feeding, stitching, or doing other things. But no one was talking to him. Probably because they were scared of him. Of the expression on his face. It was firm and hardened. Angry. Showing his yearning for revenge.

Astrid had managed to direct 150 dragons back in the direction of Berk. Which was nothing compared to how many dragons were on his island to begin with. After they'd left his smoldering home behind, they'd spent several more hours corralling the dragons back to Berk and making sure that none flew away. Once they'd eventually gotten back to Berk. Astrid, Heather, their dragons, and Toothless had all quickly gone off to sleep. After explaining what had happened to the rest of Berk. Astrid had asked him if he was going to go sleep. He said he would later. But, he never did.

He'd been up for hours. Helping where he could, which was everywhere. His years as the Night Rider had taught him many medical practices for battle wounds. If he could stitch himself, he could stitch dragons.

Hiccup pushed the needle through the final part of the cut in the Nadders wing and pulled the thread through. He tied off the strong and cut off the needle. "You're going to be okay, boy." He said, placing a hand on the Nadders snout. It silently roared something back to him and then fell asleep.

Hiccup picked up his stool and carried it over to the side of an injured Groncel. It had a long, deep cut down its back left leg that had been packed with bandages hours ago. Most, if not all of the bleeding has stopped. The Groncel was asleep, that or unconscious. He carefully peeled the soaked bandages from the Groncles wound revealing the cuts fully extent.

"Damn." He cursed under his breath, angrily throwing the wad of old bandages on the ground. Deep in the cut on the Groncles leg the tissue was beginning to turn black. If he had noticed it sooner then he could have administered antibiotics, but he hadn't. The infection had spread too far and had already destroyed too much flesh. The leg would need to come off. Or else the Groncel would die.

Hiccup stood up from his stool and grabbed the arm of a Berkian who was rushing past him with their arms full of medical supplies. "Find Gothi. This dragons leg needs to be amputated, now." He ordered. Which wasn't like him. The Berkian nodded and scurried away to find Gothi.

Hiccup sighed and walked away, deciding he needed a break. He didn't know where to go. Find Astrid maybe. Or Toothless to go on a flight. Although, his dragon had done so much flying yesterday he was sure the reptile was still fast asleep.

He eventually found his way to a part of Berk that wasn't too crowded. There wasn't anywhere to sit so he just sunk down to the floor with his back pressed up against a house. He pulled his helmet off his hip and held it in his hands. He'd thought he'd been helping. After the first war he was so sure that the Night Rider was the way to go to help dragons. But, he'd kept all those dragons on his island and now so many were dead... this was all his fault. He tossed the helmet away angrily. It rolled and bounced on the ground until coming to a stop.

He buried his head into his palms and sighed. Feeling like a failure. He heard a dragon huff and walk over towards him. Hiccup raised his head, and Toothless was standing beside him carrying his helmet in his mouth. Toothless placed his helmet on the ground beside him and nuzzled up against his face.

"Hey, Bud." He greeted.

Toothless cooed back to him. He laid down beside Hiccup and placed his head into his lap. Hiccup ran his hand along the top of Toothless's head.

The two sat together in silence for a while before Astrid walked up to them. She had an understanding frown on her face. She smiled softly to him, and he returned it quickly.

"You never went to bed." Astrid assumed, which was right. He just nodded in return.

Astrid sat down beside him and since no one was around she laid her head onto his shoulder. Hiccup placed his cheek against her head and they sat together. Neither of them quite know what to say.

"I'm sorry about your island." Astrid eventually said.

"Thanks." He replied.

They both lifted their heads from one another and Hiccup turned to her and kissed her. It was long and affectionate. Full of love instead of lust.

They stood up, Toothless as well. He made sure to grab his helmet before walking back towards the aid areas. Gobber passed the three of them and Hiccup stopped him. "My father needs to get back soon."

"Aye, I agree with ya. But there's no tellin' when that will be so in the meantime we'll do what we can." He said, grabbing an empty crate off the ground and wedging it under one of his arms.

Suddenly, Snotlout and Fishlegs land beside them on their dragons. They both looked worried, and speak quickly.

"Hiccup!" Exclaimed his cousin. "Ships! A lot of them!"

"What?" Hiccup asked alarmed.

"He's right, Hiccup. We saw them on patrol. At least twenty ships! They'll be here soon!"

Hiccup dawned his helmet and mounted Toothless's saddle. Before anyone could say anything he was off the ground and into the air. It took him no time to see the approaching fleet. What Fishlegs had said was true. There was around 20 ships approaching. But they weren't Hunter ships, they were Berserker Ships.

He hoped to see the ship his father had left on in the fleet as well. But it wasn't there. This couldn't be good.