Chapter 29: The Engraving on the Horn

HEATHERS POV.

Heathers head hurt. That was the first thing she felt when she woke up. The next, were the tight ropes that tied her wrists and feet together. Heathers eyes slowly opened. She was in a rectangular stone room, that was split into two cages by two sets a metal bars. She was in one of the cages, lying on the floor, and the other was empty. There were only two windows. One in each cell. It was a barred, small square. Even if she was standing she wouldn't be able to see out of it.

Early morning light poured in through the windows making so Heather could see. Her cell was completely empty. Not even a cot or a blanket. Heather sat up, feeling woozy. Her head thudded, and the wound on her abdomen hurt to the point of bribing her to tears.

Heather moved herself over to a wall and sat up against it. The cool stone felt good against the back of her head. Heather angrily gritted her teeth as she remembered the night before. She could have killed Dagur, she'd been so close! If only she hadn't stopped to say, 'this is for my family.' He'd be dead. The image of Ryker standing above her fled back into her mind. Ryker was here, that explains all of the Hunter Ships. Was Viggo here as well? There was no way for her to tell. Her axe was gone, along with any other knife she'd had stashed away on her. The only thing they hadn't taken was her horn. Heather exhaled, and cursed at her own pride. Why hadn't she just gotten, Night? She should have. And now, she was paying for it. No one knew where she was. Except Trader Johan. Maybe he'd see Night and tell him that she'd gone after Dagur. Out of concern maybe he'd come after her. She had to hold onto that hope.

What about Windshear? What had happened to her friend? She faintly remembered hearing her roars before she'd lost consciousness. Although, she couldn't quite remember wether or not she actually had. Heather tapped the floor with a nail impatiently. This wasn't the first time she'd been captured. Or the second, third, or even fourth. Waiting for your captors to come and talk to you was always the hardest part of being imprisoned. Because, it was just boring. She huffed. They had to be here soon.

Five days passed. And no one had come in to see her yet. On the second day, the first person came into the prison. A woman, who'd just delivered food and water to her. She'd tried talking to them, but they'd ignored her and left. Coming back two days later to collect the old tray and mug and drop off new ones with a fresh meal. She'd never been held this long without being interrogated. It was... smart. To keep her isolated. She knew someone was trying to break her. And she knew it wasn't Dagur, or even Ryker's idea. It was Viggo's. This was the proof she needed that he was definitely on Beserker island. And soon, she knew she'd see him.

The door opened and in walks Dagur. He was being flanked by two guards but the chief waved them off and commanded them to stay outside. He shut the door behind him and walked up to the bars of her cage. The two of them looked at one another for a moments, before Dagur pulled back his lips in a smile, and spoke. "I remember you. Heather, isn't it. You're always perched on the Night Riders shoulder. Always trying to kill me." He said. "Why?"

Heather held eye contact with him. Which was easy, until she began to think about her family. And she found it harder and harder to keep staring into the eyes of the man that had taken everything from her. She pursed her lips, and spit through the bars and onto his face.

Dagur casually wiped it off and flung it away. "I'll ask you one more time, nicely." He smiled at her. "Why did you try, and kill me!" He screamed. Taking her off guard. Her still face faulted, and for a moment she was afraid. And he saw it. But, she still didn't answer.

"Fine." Dagur reached behind his back and pulled out the key to her cell. "You had your chance." He unlocked the door to her cage and stepped in. Usually she would take this moment and charge him. Tackle him to the floor. Kill him. But she was still bound. Dagur entered the cell and closed and locked the door behind him. Dagur returned the keys to his pocket and pulled out a large knife from a sheath on his hip.