Chapter 9 - His Lordship & Lady

Sorry, after all of the drama Riley has had, I thought a filler chapter was in order. Exciting things to come my lovelies!

Please vote and comment <3!

-----

When I woke the next morning, my face was bruised and my stomach battered from Joe's beatings that forced me into silence. I'd been plagued by the same nightmare during my sleep, and Kian had had to shake me awake numerous times to stop me from screaming. He'd hold my face in his gentle hands and tell me it was okay and that Joe had gone. But somehow, his comforting eyes weren't enough to halt the looming figure above my face each time I shut my eyes.

Pressing charges wouldn't be an option, even though me and Kian kept arguing about it. He thought I should, but how could I prove anything? Joe hadn't gotten very far in his attack, not enough for me to go to the police anyway. Plus Kian could also land himself in hot water judging by how swollen and bloodied Joe's face had been last night. I didn't want to even imagine what he looked like this morning.

"You have to Riley. He can't get away with doing that to you!" Kian's voice was struggling to stay calm as he said this for the billionth time.

"Kian, I don't want to relive the experience. What if I got through all that only for them to think I'm lying? And what about you? I can't see you get given a caution, or even worse a prison sentence, for assault!" I turn to him, tears swimming in my eyes. Matt had left earlier this morning, so he wasn't involved in the debate.

"Fine. But just remember that I was the one that listened to your screams and cries for help whilst you were asleep. It's affected you more than you know, Riles." He stood up from his perched position on the kitchen counter, walking towards me and rested his hands on my shoulders. He bowed his head forwards slightly, his forehead wrinkling as he looked at me questioningly. "If you can look me in the eyes and tell me that you're okay, I'll believe you." He challenges, his gaze unfaltering.

"I'm okay..." I manage, mustering the courage to look him in the eyes. I am the sensible one. I can't allow myself to break down in front of Kian. I am stronger than that. He releases his hold on my shoulders and I can sense disbelief in his eyes as he finally retreats towards the sofa. I only realise then that my hands are shaking. I attempt to steady them and take my handbag from the coffee table. "I'm going out. The fresh air will do me good." I say, walking towards the door. I hear him mutter something about phoning him if something happened, but I am far too absorbed in my own world to listen properly.

---

I return to the park that I had visited only yesterday. It is quiet. Peaceful. I close my eyes and inhale. Exhaling, my eyes flicker open to see my breath dissipate in a foggy formation, like smoke from a dragon's nostrils.

Suddenly, I jump at the sound of my phone ringing. I rifle through my bag, trying to silence my annoying ringtone. My fingers curl around the object and I slide the screen across to answer it.

"Hey." A husky voice meets me on the other end of the line. Lukas.

"Luke, hey. How are you?" I smile into my phone.

"All the better for talking to you. I was thinking I'd like to meet up with you today." His casual, collected tone sings into my right ear and I stop myself from grinning.

"Oh really? And what if I don't want to see you?" I tease playfully.

"Oh, I think you do sweetheart." I can almost feel the smirk on his lips, and my heart flutters slightly at the nickname.

"And where does his lordship wish to meet?" I ask, biting into my lip to stop myself from laughing.

"I take that as a yes then my lady? I was thinking we could go to the fair. Meet me outside in an hour." He says, hanging up. That's right, the fair was in town. I remember Kian mentioning it when he brought the newspaper in last week. I checked my watch. He wanted me to meet him in an hour's time, which would make it one o'clock. Unfortunately, I hadn't brought my car. Walking had seemed the better option at the time. I mentally scold myself and go towards the park entrance, hailing a taxi.