Drunk Is What We Aim For

New York sparkles, Lauren observed. It’s so bright and big and really…blurry? She put her whiskey and lemonade down, thinking it was the culprit of her current impaired vision. Or perhaps it was the fresh air? She was propped on her elbows on the balcony of a penthouse apartment overlooking the New York skyline. The music was muted from the party happening behind her, Lauren felt herself swaying and regretted making her last drink a double.

The glass door behind her slid open and the music blared for a few seconds before quieting again.

‘There you are!’ Brad shouted, slinging an arm around her and toppling them both slightly. She smirked at how inebriated he was.

It was blind luck that they were both in New York at the same time, Brad had suggested they catch up over drinks and they had somehow ended up at this huge celebrity party. Lauren honestly had no idea whose party it was or how they got in but she decided not to question it.

‘Isn’t this awesome?’ He slurred, letting go of Lauren to lean over the balcony. ‘We’re so high up!’

Brad stepped back, his foot tapping Lauren’s drink on the floor. He picked up the glass, ‘Is this yours?’ he asked, and when she nodded he started to tip the drink to his mouth.

‘Whoa,’ Lauren reached out, snatching her drink back from his grasp, ‘You’ve had enough, lightweight.’

He grumbled and tried to steal it back so Lauren downed the whole drink quickly. The whiskey warmed her throat and belly, the alcohol rising to her head making her feel dizzy, she leaned heavily against the balcony and when the dizziness didn’t dissipate she carefully sat down on the cold floor, resting her back against the balcony railings.

After a few moments, Brad followed suit, leaning heavily against her side. ‘Are you having fun?’ He questioned.

‘Yeah.’ She actually was, it was a great party and it felt good to let loose for once, she just wished Camila and the other girls were here, she had gotten used to them being a part of everything, when they weren’t around it was like she had lost a limb or something, she visibly cringed at the unintentional image she created.

The doors opened in front of them and a giggling couple stumbled out in front of them, the boy almost tripped over Brad’s outstretched legs.

‘Sorry dude.’ He apologised, as the blonde girl he was with dragged him over to the corner of the balcony. Lauren thought she recognised the guy from a band but she couldn’t place his face in her alcohol induced haze. She watched them light up their cigarettes.

The drinks were really taking effect now, her head felt light and fuzzy. Brad didn’t seem to be fairing any better, his eyes were heavy lidded and his hair was poking out in different directions.

‘I can’t believe you have a girlfriend.’ He said, loudly.

‘Secret girlfriend!’ She shouted, and then clamped a hand over her stupid mouth. She looked over to the couple in the corner, who judging by the strong smell of weed we’re not smoking regular cigarettes; they hadn’t noticed her slip up, or didn’t care. She breathed a sigh of relief.

Brad turned to look at her with a smile on his face and dopey drunk eyes, maybe they were getting a contact high, Lauren pondered. His smile softened after a few seconds, ‘Are you happy?’ He asked.

‘When I’m sad, she makes me happy.’ She whispered through a smile, letting her head loll onto his shoulder, ‘and when I’m happy, she makes me happier.’

‘That’s all the matters.’ Brad told her.

She smiled, but it was tinged with sadness, she wished it was that simple. Her gaze flickered over to the boy and girl in the corner; they had finished their smokes and were kissing softly, bathed in the lights from the city that never sleeps, openly and frankly showing their affection.