When Thunder Roars, Go Indoors

The storm raged a violent dance across the Los Angeles skyline.

Lauren stood on the hotel room balcony and watched the lightening fork across the deep and tempestuous afternoon sky, darkened to almost night-time by thick, black clouds. Another strike of electricity sliced bright white through a darkened indigo canvas.

The accompanying thunder was incredibly loud; it reverberated through her body like a heavy bass speaker.

She loved it, she loved storms. She loved the electricity they created in the atmosphere, the static they produced that created an almost tangible power.

She leant on her elbows over the edge of the balcony and past the shelter above her. The warm Californian rain spayed over her hands and face and she smiled at the feeling. Lauren watched as the rain came down in sheets and coated the streets below her.

The sound of the balcony door sliding open was heard over the pouring rain, seconds later she felt Camila's arms circle around her from behind.

'You should come inside,' Camila said, resting her chin on Lauren's shoulder, 'it's getting really bad out here.'

'Not yet, I like it.'

'You're weird.' She said tenderly, making no move to retreat indoors.

Lauren turned in her girlfriend's arms so she faced Camila and leaving the storm behind her. Letting her back rest against the damp balcony railing she looked at the younger girl.

Camila was clad only in Lauren's oversized grey Vans sweatshirt, her bare legs on show and her hair in a messy bun on top of her head. She looked delectable.

She pulled Camila into her, feeling the need suddenly to keep her close. They only had one more day at the hotel before the tour bus picked them up for the last leg of their tour. Just one more day before Alex arrived, one more day before she altered their lives forever.

The storm reflected in Camila's eyes like mirrors, lightening flashed so bright it was as if a camera flash went off in the girl's irises.

'Do you believe in predestination?' Lauren asked, letting her hands slip under the material of the sweatshirt and simultaneously feeling relieved and disappointed when her fingers brushed the cotton fabric of Camila's shorts previously hidden.

'What do you mean?' Camila's breathe hitched at the end of her question as Lauren's still damp hands traced up the exposed skin of her torso. Tracing delicate patterns with cooled digits into the warm skin.

'The idea that everything we do is predetermined, so our choices and actions mean nothing because the outcome is already decided.' Lauren spoke, turning her head to the side to watch the rain. She had been thinking about it a lot lately, about decisions and actions and...consequences.

'Like fate?' Camila queried, letting her hands fall between Laurens arms to rest on the balcony, pinning her in place.

'Kind've, I guess.'

Lauren pulled her girlfriend closer, letting her hand slip up further and around to Camila's back, scraping her nails up her spine. She frowned at the lack of resistance and gulped audibly when she realised Camila wasn't wearing a bra.

The thunder rumbled loudly around them, she practically vibrated at the force and scratched Camila's back involuntarily. Camila's body arched in reaction to the sensation and Lauren felt her mouth go dry.

'But,' Camila sounded breathless, 'wouldn't that mean that we have no free will? If all our outcomes are already determined then none of our actions would be done freely.'

Lauren frowned, wondering how Camila could think so clearly with her hands up her top and Lauren got an almost animalistic need to try and stop that ability, she wanted to turn her brain to mush.

'I've read that it's like the card game bridge,' Lauren whispered, letting her fingers trail slowly from Camila's back to around her sides, resting on her ribs, 'the hand you're dealt is determined, but how you play it is free will.' Her thumbs brushed the underside of Camila's breasts; it was uncharted territory for them. She smirked as she watched Camila's eyelids flutter closed and her mouth fall open.

'Wh- why are you asking me this?' Camila stammered, she wasn't mush per se but she wasn't exactly coherent, she decided to push the boundaries a little.

Lauren shrugged, although Camila couldn't see it. 'Like if I do this,' One of Lauren's hands moved upwards to cup Camila's pert breast, the younger girl took a large intake of air and bit her lip, 'is it really my choice or were all previous events leading up to this?'

A crack of lightening above them threw light across Camila's face and caused her eyes to open. Lauren could see how dilated her pupils were and the thought that she had done that, that Lauren had aroused Camila spurred a thrum of excitement down her spine and into her core.

'I dunno, are you predetermined to do anything else?' Camila spoke softly and seductively, wetting her lips. Lauren's eyes followed the action with an obscene amount of intensity, accepting the unspoken challenge.

Lauren inched forwards, her hand still cupping Camila's breast. 'Maybe I'm destined to do this.' She brushed her thumb over a hardened nipple and pressed her lips against Camila's neck when she let her head dip back in pleasure. Lauren sucked hard on her pulse point.

Camila's loud moan was swallowed up by another roll of thunder.

The wind changed direction suddenly and propelled a wave of rain over them, effectively throwing a bucket over Lauren's head. She realised in that moment, where they were, on a very open balcony in the middle of the day.

She pressed a few feather light kisses up Camila's neck as she allowed her hands to trail away from Camila's body and out the bottom of her sweater. She placed a lingering kiss on Camila's lips and grinned when she heard Camila's groan of frustration.

'You're such a fucking tease.'

Lauren laughed, 'Maybe it was predetermined to end this way.'

Camila rolled her eyes and stepped backwards out of Lauren's personal space. 'I'm going for a shower.'

Lauren nodded, watching her retreat and letting her eyes wander up long legs.

When she had gone, Lauren turned back to the storm. It showed no signs of stopping.

In twenty-four hours she would speak to Alex and everything would be different. She breathed in deep and let out a shuddering breath. Lauren couldn't displace this feeling that something big was going to happen. What if the end result was already determined, planned out before her and waiting to be realised?

What if all their moments were leading up to something out of her control?