Pride Before a Fall

One of the unique things about the tour bus beds was that they simultaneously felt tiny and spacious. Lauren always experienced a peculiar mix of claustrophobia and relaxation at night in her bunk. Tonight the feeling of claustrophobia was winning; she was resting on her back with all the lights off, willing sleep to come.

She was tired, her body felt heavy with exhaustion but her mind was active and was denying her body the rest it needed. The heat of the bus, lack of room and close proximity to Camila all factors in her insomnia.

The noises surrounding her usually had a calming effect on Lauren but tonight they only aggravated her. The low drone of the bus’s engine, the sound of someone’s light snoring, the tinny noise of someone’s iPod music playing. It wasn’t Camila’s music; it was too upbeat and loud. Camila liked to listen to quiet, relaxing music to sleep to. The brunette rubbed the heels of her hands into her eyes in annoyance that a) she knew stupid facts like that about Camila, and b) she still couldn’t freaking sleep!

Grabbing her phone, Lauren checked the time for what felt like the millionth time. The phone displayed 01:06am mockingly. She gave up trying to fall asleep, it was liked that ‘a watched pot never boils’ saying.

Flicking the bunk spotlight on above her head, she rolled over onto her right side to face the privacy curtain and drew it back slightly to check that Camila’s curtain was drawn; she didn’t want her light to wake the other girl. Satisfied the Cuban’s curtain was drawn tight; Lauren pushed her own all the way open and felt the claustrophobia from earlier lessen. She sat up in her bunk, ducking her head slightly then sat with her back against the wall and her legs outstretched from her bunk.

She felt herself breathe easier; confined spaces were not her favourite thing. She pulled her book out from under her pillow and opened it to the dog-eared page. She had read the book multiple times before but it felt good to read something familiar, especially when she was away from home. Books were Lauren’s comfort, her security blanket.

Elizabeth and Mr Darcy’s plight had her so captivated she had leaned forward unconsciously and was now half in her bunk and half in the aisle of the bus. She lost herself in the words, into the story she was transported. This is why she loved books, their ability to transport readers into the mind of the characters, allowing her to see the world through the characters eyes. Just ink on a page, telling of fictional characters, fictional lives and emotions, nothing but lies bound in leather telling us truths repeatedly. She was fully engrossed in these truthful lies.

This was probably why she let out a strange ‘yelp’ noise and jumped a foot in the air when Camila’s bunk curtain was whipped back suddenly. Lauren would’ve jumped higher if the roof of her bunk hadn’t connected painfully with the top of her head.

‘Ow!’

‘Crap!’ they spoke simultaneously. Lauren touched her head at the point of impact; she felt a tiny bump as Camila stood up then bent down slightly to also inspect the damage. ‘Sorry,’ she apologised.

A loud ‘Shhh’ came from somewhere down the bus, Lauren stopped rubbing her bump and shot a glare in that general direction. She turned back to Camila and almost jumped again at the close proximity of the other girl, crouched in front of her, sleepy yet undeniably concerned eyes inches from her own. Lauren felt herself blushing and so she avoided eye contact by looking down at Camila’s SpongeBob Squarepants pyjamas. Focusing on a smiling Patrick on the Cuban’s knee.

‘You okay?’ Camila whispered, concern but also amusement in her voice.

‘No, I’m concussed.’

Camila let out a small laugh at Lauren’s reply. ‘You’ll live.’

Lauren stopped focusing on the starfish and chanced a look at the other girl, she was rubbing her eyes adorably, Lauren thought she looked like a sleepy seven year old and had to bite her lip to stop the enthralled smile she’s sure she’d be sporting.