Chapter Four

So, here are a few fun facts about this chapter.
Again, other languages will be in italic; you'll catch it.
Mentions of anxiety/panic attacks, torture, etc.

I am writing with information from the MCU and the comics, so if something doesn't make sense to you, let me know!
Enjoy!
-Sif

August

A week of preparation was spent surveillance of the old Hydra base in Azzano, Italy. Erica was a strategizer; she was meticulous and used to taking the lead on missions. Unfortunately, so was Bucky Barnes. The three stood around the table in the quinjet, a map of the base laid out below them and a box of communicators. Joaquin Torres, bless his heart, stood as far away as possible just waiting; Sam leaned against the table, his head hung.

"I'm telling you; it should be me to go in there." Erica was beyond frustrated.

"And I'm telling you no, it's too dangerous." Bucky slammed his fist down.

Erica snorted, "I have been in many dangerous positions, and Redwing's base scans say it's empty."

Bucky groaned, dragging his hand over his face, "Redwing could be wrong."

Erica stood up, "I don't know why you're fighting me on this. Can you hack into their system and transfer all their files?" She crossed her arms, waiting for his response.

She had him there; they all knew it. But he didn't have to like it.

Erica smirked, "I thought so." She tightened her dark gray tactical vest. 

"What if there are soldiers in there? Hmm?" Bucky crossed the length of the table standing in front of her.

Erica snorted. His concern was adorable, "Then I will handle it." She checked her gun before sliding it into the thigh holster, "I'm a big girl; I can take care of myself."

Bucky looked to Sam for help; Sam laughed, shaking his head, "You heard her, Buck, she's a big girl, and she can take care of herself."

Bucky narrowed his eyes and quickly scanned her body before turning around. He wouldn't allow himself to admire how attractive her tactical gear made her look; he was desperately trying to find any reason not to like her.  But he was failing miserably in that skin-tight maroon bodysuit, her tactical vest strapped tightly to her chest. Her short blond hair was pulled back into two thick braided pigtails; black combat boots were on her feet. She looked like she could take care of herself.

Torres cleared his throat, stepping forward., "We're about five minutes out." He picked up the box of communicators, "Better put these in."

"Alright, so are we clear on a plan?" Sam asked, sliding his comm in.

"No.", Bucky grumbled while putting his comm in.

"Yes, get in, get the said files and get out.", Erica said with a smile, adjusting her comm.

Bucky groaned; he wasn't going to win against her...not on this. "Fine, we will play this your way."

"That's all I ask, Barnes." she smiled back, stepping towards the now open door.

He looked at her, then the open door. "Wha-"

She jumped out, and Bucky ran over to the door with Joaquin, checking to see if her chute worked... Did she even have one on?

"Please tell me she had a chute?" Bucky grumbled, looking over at Joaquin.

Joaquin quickly noticed one of the six on the jet missing, "Yes, she had one." He breathed relieved, shaking his head.