Chapter Twelve

Hey loves!

I'm in my feels, so buckle up for another chapter!
Shout out to my amazing Beta Jesse_Winter_Soldier
You are the best!

January

Somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean

Five hours into their flight to Madripoor, Bucky tried his best to focus on the book in his hand. But he found himself peeking over at Erica too often, she looked comfortable. Lounged back in her seat, turned slightly, taking up the seat next to her. Right leg bent with the left tossed over it, reading a book with her earbuds in, left foot bobbing up and down. She was wearing a dark blue hoodie and gray gym shorts that were riding up her thigh. Bucky couldn't take it anymore. He got up to walk over and talk to her, paused for a split second, but ended up walking right past her to the back of the quinjet.

He groaned rubbing his face. "I am such a chicken shit.", he grumbled.

"Got that right." Sam laughed leaning up against the wall.

Bucky groaned again, "You saw that?"

Sam smirked, "The whole thing."

"It should not be this hard talking to her, I mean we had sex not even a week ago; she has literally seen me vulnerable. So why is it so hard to talk to her now?" Bucky for the first time in his life had a case of word vomit. Bucky's eyes went wide realizing what he had just confessed.

Sam stiffened, "You had sex with her...at my party!" he asked voice to even for Bucky's taste.

Sam pushed himself off the wall, he wasn't sure what he was doing.

Bucky held his hands up in surrender. "Sam, listen I-"

Sam's fist connected with Bucky's jaw; the super soldier took a few forced steps back. Sam flexed his aching fist while pacing in front of Bucky.

Bucky, still shocked that Sam punched him, touched his tender jaw. "I deserved that.", he admitted.

Sam huffed, "You think?" He leaned back up against the wall. "Is that why you two haven't been able to be around each other?", he asked, rubbing his knuckles.

Bucky dropped his hands, "No, that isn't the reason." He looked down at the floor, the look on his face was the one of a defeated man.

Sam wanted to be angry, he wanted nothing more than to punch Bucky again. Possibly a few more times, but he wouldn't. Bucky was his friend, his best friend. Over the past couple of years Sam has watched Bucky grow, but the past six months he's watched Bucky change. Before he was just a shell of a man, trying to make it through the day. And now? He was living, he was feeling. He believed that had a lot to do with Erica, he had noticed a change in her as well. He didn't like it, but he loved them both. So, if they wanted to explore this then who was he to stand in their way?

Sam looks at his watch, "We have about eight hours.", he crosses his arms leaning back against the wall, "Plenty of time for you to get it all out."

Bucky sighed leaning against the wall opposite of Sam. He slowly began to explain what had happened. "We stepped out onto the terrace, we started talking about what was going on between us. Then Jo-", his jaw tightened, "John Walker showed up, he started talking to Erica."

Sam's eyebrows nearly disappeared in his hairline, "Oh shit."

Bucky nodded, "He uh started talking about Erica's father.", remembering the venom in John Walker's voice, the look of fear on Erica's face.