Chapter Nine

Hey loves! Happy New Year! I hope everyone was safe last night! 
Here's to 2022!
So this is just another short filler chapter of some Christmas fluff!
I enjoyed writing this bit about Erica and Bucky's journey.
Enjoy!
-Sif 

 Early December

It was forty-five degrees; the wind made it seem closer to twenty-something. The sky, a beautiful bright blue, freshly fallen snow covered every surface in a pillowy untouched white blanket. Tall trees sagged against the weight, icicles decorating the branches, making it a winter wonderland. Truly magical.

Erica sat at the breakfast nook, snuggled into her long-oversized cream-colored cardigan, coffee mug in hand. She held it close to her chest, seeking its warmth as she took in the beautiful scenery outside. She loved Christmas time, her second favorite time of the year. She was too excited to decorate this year; they had already knocked almost all the big Hydra bases off their list. Nothing new had come up about the serum; whoever it was, they were laying low right now. Sam was getting frustrated; Bucky was more of a grump than usual. They needed a distraction, and what was a better distraction than to get into the Christmas spirit? So, Erica did what anyone in her position would have done. She ordered decorations and a ten-foot Christmas tree online; she sent Sam and Bucky into the city for the pick-up. Of course, they groaned and drugged their feet because why not?

"Ms. Erica, Mister Wilson, and Sergeant Barnes are back.", FRIDAY informed her.

Erica hurried through the compound to the side door near the residential area, smiling like a madwoman when she saw Buck's truck. They were already unloading boxes. Erica walked out the doors and was greeted by a bite of cold air.

Bucky quickly walked over to her; he was dressed in a maroon Hensley with his black bomber jack over, light-washed blue jeans, and boots. "Get your ass back inside. Are you crazy?" he snapped, looking down at her dressed in a black top with her cardigan pulled around her, gray leggings, and miss-matched socks.

Scrunching her nose up at him, he was right. She wouldn't tell him. Reluctantly she stepped back inside to wait for them, watching with excitement as they started to carry the packages inside.

Bing Crosby's "It's beginning to look like Christmas" filled the air as Erica mixed sugar cookie dough. A big smile across her face watching Sam and Bucky assemble the tree, they bickered back and forth about the correct placement of the branches. There was something peaceful about listening to them like everything was almost back to normal. She hummed along with the song, carefully kneading the dough before balling it up, wrapping it in saran wrap, and placing it into the fridge.

________________________________________

"It needs to move a little to the left.", Erica started from her spot almost in the kitchen, watching as Bucky and Sam moved the tree. "No, not your left, my left." They grumbled, moving it the other way; she cocked her head, humming. "Back the other way just a tad....... there!"

Bucky looked over at Sam, "Isn't this the same spot it was in before?"

Sam shook his head with a low chuckle, "I believe it is."

Erica shrugged, walking towards them. "I wanted to make sure that was the spot." she smiled sweetly.

Sam's phone buzzed; he pulled it out, looking done at it. "Hey, Torres needs me; I'll be back, yeah?"

Bucky shot him a look, "Do not leave me to deal with this alone."

Erica scoffed, "I take offense to that statement." She pulled a box open; her face lit up seeing Christmas lights.