Hunting Season

A couple of weeks later

Margret: Listen I got a kid to feed, you can't spear me just a little?

Owner: Listen lady, either you pay for that food or get outta my shop.

Margret: Please, she needs to eat, she'll starve to death.

Owner: And my family will starve if I give out freebies to every hobo with a kid.

I watched as my mother pleaded with the store owner from behind the corner. I watched as he looked her up and down before waving her away.

Margret: It doesn't have to be big, just a little something, I swear when I get the money I'll pay you back.

Owner: You know what? I think I might be willing to consider-

Margret: Oh thank you so much

Owner: If you would be willing to do something for it now.

I watched as he took his hand and brushed his finger across her neck. She moved it away and stepped back in disgust.

Owner: Well then get the hell off my property!

I watched as he slammed the door in her face, causing her to walk back over to me and sigh.

Margret: It's ok baby, we'll get something to eat real soon, I promise.

Harlow: Why can't we go to grandma's house like we did last year?

Margret: Uhh, do you remember when went to this big event a couple of months ago and Grandma was in this big box?

Harlow: Yh

Margret: And I told you that she went to visit someone?

Harlow: Yh, is she not coming back?

Margret: No honey, Grandma's staying there for a very long time. I swear to you if we had better options we would be somewhere else ok?

I nodded as she hugged me and made a face at me, causing me to laugh. As we walked down the road she continued to make faces to cheer me up until we were standing in front of our new home. I clutched her hand as we made our way through the other people as they crowded around a lit garbage can.

I stared at the other homeless people as they either ate small scraps of food or slept. I sat down on the little cardboard my mother had found for us to stay on and pulled the blanket over my shoulders.

I looked back at my mother as we looked at the people around us. Not able to even buy a proper shirt and forced to live on the streets while everyone walked by. I felt a little ashamed as I realized that I had gone from one of the people who couldn't careless to the one who wouldn't be able to survive if I died of something like hunger.

I turned and saw the person next to me lean over and hand me something wrapped in paper.

Stranger: Well don't be shy take it.

I looked at my mother as she shook her head and pushed it back. 

Stranger: You need it more than me, I'm sure you don't want her to starve to death. Got it while I was by subway, knew the owner.