The Morning of the Wedding

Alec's alarm clock went off around 5 am, piercing the silence of the Institute.

There was a knock on his door immediately.

"Alec?"

Alec slammed the clock off.

"Jace, I just woke up. Can't I have one minute-"

Jace flopped onto Alec's bed anyways, burying his face in Alec's comforter.

The room was still dark but as the sun was rising, it was casting oranges and reds across the room.

"What's wrong?" Alec asked. "Don't tell me you're second-guessing yourself-"

"I'm not," Jace said. "No, of course I'm not."

"Then why are you in my room at 5 in the morning?"

"Because- I guess I'm panicking," Jace admitted, "just a little though."

Alec sat up, rubbing his eyes.

"You have no reason to panic," he said.

"I know," Jace said, rolling over onto his back. "But I want everything to be perfect, for her, you know? And I mean, what if I screw something up?"

"You're being irrational," Alec said. "You're panicking about something that's not even worth panicking over."

"Okay, I'm totally allowed to panic at my wedding, Alec," Jace snapped. "Why are you being so snippy?"

"It's five in the morning! I was expecting a few moments of quiet before-"

An alarm started blaring somewhere.

"That's the fire alarm," Jace muttered.

"-chaos," Alec sighed.

Jace and Alec sprinted out of the room, through the maze of hallways until they found the source of the alarm.

Simon was standing on the counter in the kitchen, trying to disarm the fire alarm.

The toaster was smoking and a piece of toast was lying in the sink, still glowing from having recently been on fire.

"Between you and Isabelle," Jace said, "your children will starve."

"Kids?" Simon asked. "Who said anything about kids?" His new runes were still incredibly black against his pale skin.

"You can't even make toast?" Jace asked.

"This toaster is ancient," Simon said. "It set itself on fire."

"It didn't spontaneously combust," Alec said.

"Why were you making toast?" Jace asked.

"Because you need to eat something," Simon said.

"I'm not hungry," Jace said.

Simon kicked a book off the edge of the counter and Jace caught it before it hit the floor.

"'How to be a Good Groomsman?'" he read. "Seriously, Simon?"

"It was a joke," Simon said. "Sort of."

"Clary," Jace laughed. "Okay, look, I'm calling Taki's. I'll order something and go pick it up."

"No, I've got it," Alec said. "Simon, make sure Jace takes a shower."

"And how would you like him to make sure I do that?" Jace asked.

"Some days," Alec said, as he headed out, "I really want to kill you."

"It's my wedding day," Jace shouted after him. "You can't hurt me!"

.........

"Where's Magnus?" Simon whispered.