Ringing in the New Year with Torture

"Tick."

The voice echoed throughout the building.

"Tock."

A heavy sigh followed.

"Have you decided what your next move is going to be?" the demon asked. It was premature of him. But he was far too busy to deal with or wait on Charlemagne's flair for drama.

Charlemagne's sugary sweet voice let out a chuckle.

"I always have a next move, my friend," Charlemagne called. He stepped out onto the catwalk and into the demon's line of sight. "But I think it's time to start our final preparations."

...........

Heat, music, and pure, raw energy rammed into Alec the second he opened the door.

"I can't believe we didn't come sooner," Isabelle sighed. "Jace, I'm going to kill you."

"Training is more important than partying, Isabelle," Jace said. Alec's eyes rolled to his parabatai, waiting for the ensuing comment. "And skipping morning practice to sleep with your boyfriend."

Alec was ready to speak in his defense but Jace was already pulling Clary into the sea of people and Isabelle was begrudgingly pulling Simon inside.

That left Alec in the doorway, watching his apartment being destroyed by spilled drinks and trampling feet.

............

Magnus stood at the top of the stairs, watching the crowd swirl below him.

He liked to think of himself as Gatsby. Gatsby stood above, watching from above to truly observe people in their most natural state. At parties you could be free because under the influence of alcohol your acts were justified. Then there was the fact that the guests never even knew who he was, though he occasionally walked among them; that had astonished Magnus.

Tonight, he was just looking for Alec in the sea of people.

His early morning disappearance was nothing new but he had stayed late as well, leaving Magnus all alone to get the New Year's Eve party ready.

It was Magnus' first big party with Alec and he wasn't the least bit surprised that Alec had managed to ditch up until the last possible second.

When he saw speckles of black among the throng of neon and bright colors, he knew the Shadowhunters had made their late entrance. He could see Jace and Clary first. With their exotic hair colors, they stood out.

Trailing not so far behind them was Simon and Isabelle. From above they appeared to be a solid wall of black, flecked with their oddly-pale faces.

Then, pushing stiffly through the crowd was Alec, still in his training gear.

That definitely wouldn't do.

As Alec neared the stairs, probably heading for their room, Magnus walked down the stairs, his fingers, painted an effervescent blue, trailing on the banister.

Alec started climbing, watching his shoes hit each step, rather than looking up.

His focus didn't change until he ran into Magnus, who caught the Shadowhunter in his arms.

"Happy New Year's Eve," Magnus whispered, leaving a kiss on Alec's cheek.

"Oh, hi," Alec said.

"You ditched me this morning," Magnus teased.

"I-- I had training," Alec said. "And you were sleeping so--"

"I'm just joking," Magnus said. He reached for Alec's hand, dragging him up the remaining stairs. "Do you like the party?"