Motorcycles and Minivans

Thank you to the wonderful MariferBtr for your constant comments and for always having prompts ready when I demand them. This was all your idea so I hope you enjoy it :)

Alec fell lazily onto the couch, his impressively long legs dangling over the side and his head falling onto Magnus' lap, crushing the newspaper he had been reading.

"Hi--" "I think I want a motorcycle," Alec said in unison with Magnus' greeting. Magnus peered at him over the top of his reading glasses. The wire frames made him feel older and more sophisticated than he really was.

"Why?"

"I don't know. I just really want one," Alec sighed, staring up at Magnus.

"You need an actual license to drive a motorcycle in the state of New York," Magnus said. He popped his newspaper back out, returning to the article he had been reading. He hated the idea of Alec on a death trap, just like he had Raphael. He figured the idea of driving would scare Alec off.

"I could get my license."

"You can't drive."

"Then I'll-- you could teach me you know," Alex retorted stubbornly. "But I could always just glamor myself."

"No--!" Magnus said, tossing the newspaper aside. It was bad enough driving a motorcycle in the first place but doing it invisibly?

Alec was strong, not invincible.

"Besides, you should know the rules of the road," Magnus added.

"So you'll teach me?" Alec asked, smirking in a way that was 110% Lightwood. He had planned it all.

"Yes," Magnus sighed. "But you'll have to wait until tomorrow. I'll need time to get my affairs in order before you kill me."

"Driving can't be that hard," Alec said, sitting up. "Thank you, love." He pressed a kiss to Magnus' cheek and left Magnus with the comics page.

...........

"That is the ugliest 'effin car I've ever seen," Isabelle said, leaning against the front door of the Institute.

"That's because it's not a car," Magnus said, climbing out of the driver's seat of the lavender minivan, pulled straight out of the early-2000's. "It's a minivan."

Alec rubbed his forehead. Jace started a walk around the car, examining the numerous nicks and scratches.

"You got a 'Student Driver' sticker, Magnus?" Jace laughed at the yellow caution sign on the back windshield.

Magnus smiled meekly at Alec.

"I wasn't about to buy you a car-- sorry, dear-- so I had to find something a junk yard wouldn't miss," Magnus said, hopping up on the hood. He was wearing a grey vest over a white dress shirt-- entirely too formal for the occasion. He noticed Alec's questioning look. "I figured I'd make it easier and dress in what I'd like to be buried in." Isabelle was the only one who laughed.

"This is classic," Jace said, throwing open the sliding door closest to the curb. "Look! No backseat!"

Magnus patted the windshield.

"Incredibly safe though. I Googled it," Magnus said.

"I'm thrilled," Alec retorted. He looked pointedly at Jace who was ducked inside the hollow of the van. He jumped back onto the curb.

"Well, don't die," Jace said.

Isabelle rolled her eyes and went back inside. Jace turned to Magnus and gave him a stoic nod before following his sister in.