Chapter 4 - The Sea

It has been two days since I left Ko'hatu to help Tsu'tey find Home Tree. Throughout the journey he has been teaching me the names of creatures, colors, and words. Luckily for him I was a fast learner, and eager to absorb all of the knowledge the outside world had to offer. I treasure the moments where he educates me on the ways of his people, I find myself holding those interactions close to my heart. We have grown friendly enough, but there is still an invisible wall that I cannot breach. He is always so guarded.. I can not imagine what had happened to him in the past to make him so uptight. His wounds looked a lot better, he heals so fast compared to the Ko'hatu natives, he can even walk on his own now.

Tsu'tey has been going on and on about the flow of life, and why I should be more thoughtful when killing for food, he said that all of our lives were granted to us by Eywa and someday, they will be taken away. He said that everything was connected, energy could not be lost, only transformed.

"The fish eats the atlas beetle, the viper wolf eats the fish, the thanator eats the viper wolf, eventually the thanator will die, and then the plants will consume it aswell. Energy is recycled, never lost." He explained.

I began to have an entirely new perspective on the outside world, I realized many things as I traveled with Tsu'tey. I felt a sense of fulfillment I never knew while living underground. Like a film of dread had been removed from my eyes. I still thought about Ko'hatu in the dead of night, when the beetles went to sleep and the world fell silent. The memory of my homeland did not make me feel sad, instead it only made my soul heavy.

"We are finally at the end!" I gasped, looking upon what seemed like an endless body of water. Thousands of shades of blue cascaded throughout the scene, molding into one big mass. The light reflecting from the surface was blinding. "This is what you came across?" I asked in amazement.

He huffed. "Well, I did not swim. I was inside of a boat made of a giant leaf" He stared at the water almost like he was afraid of it. Just how long was he out there?

"So where is it?" I asked.

He shrugged.

"Well how are we to cross then?" I shook my head, "You stupid." I told him.

"You barely even know what that means!" He smacked the back of my head.

"Oisss.. Wait here, I will find us a ride." I proclaimed while walking into the shallows of the water. I dived in without warning, leaving Tsu'tey stranded on the beach. The water here was different than the water in the caves I grew up in, it hurt my gills, after a while the pain began to subside as I got used to it. I began to swim deeper into the depths. It was dark at first, but the further I swam, the more fauna that lit up. Schools of fish passed me in a hurry, like shimmering colors of wind. It was like an entirely different world down here. There was so much more room to swim than in the caves of my home, and the diversity of the species that lives in these waters was quite incredible. The freckles on my body glowed a warm hue of purple as I continued downward.

That is when I spotted a gigantic creature at least 200 times the size of me, I almost choked when I saw it. The immense shadow that it created casted down upon me like a warning. I had never seen a creature this big before. It was elegant, yet deadly, proud, yet fair. I noticed it had a queue, so I quickly swam up next to it, allowing it to know my presence. I silently asked if I could connect. After it gave me approval I linked my queue and immediately began to feel the weight of its body. "Amazing." I said through the eyes of the beast. I thought I knew power, but nothing I had ever felt before this moment could compare to the strength of the mighty beast.

 I thought I knew power, but nothing I had ever felt before this moment could compare to the strength of the mighty beast