Chapter 12 - The Past

"Thank you Chieftan!" Jake Sully said.

"Let the nights festival begin in honor of our guests!" The Chief shouted, music began to play as everyone began eating.

"You seem in a better mood." I told Jake.

He looked at me and shrugged.

I knew he wanted to be with Neytiri more than anything right now but as the Chieftain, the village had to come first.

"The Ni'awve Clan is to the same direction as the Hanging Gardens. We can stop by there for the night."

"That is great!" I said excitedly.

He just smiled at the ground.

"I was wondering something actually."

"What is it?"

"How did you end up being the Chief?" 

Jake looked down at his beetle larvae awkwardly and began shoving pieces into his mouth. "It's not a pretty story."

"I can handle it."

He pursed his lips then finally gave in. "When we found Tsu'tey he was on deaths door, I don't know exactly what happened but by the time we got to him someone had cut his queue. At that point no medicine could have saved him."
(Deleted scene, Corporal Lyne Wainfleet cut Tsu'tey's queue after he fell.)

My heart immediately dropped when he spoke those words, cutting off your queue is the worst pain imaginable for our kind. Imagine taking the most sensitive part of your body, the part that has the most nerves in it and cutting a big chunk out.

"As we gathered around him, he smiled knowing that victory was won. He said that he was proud to be my brother... and to tell everyone that he fought alongside Toruk Makto, that he fought and died for the last shadow." Jakes face was solemn as he retold the events.

I looked towards Tsu'tey who was talking to the warriors of the tribe. No doubt they were probably talking about something useless like battle tactics (LOL)

"Is this what you wanted?" I asked Jake.

His head shot towards me. "Hell no, I don't need this kind of responsibility."

"But he chose you anyway... a Na'vi who hates skywalkers, entrusted a skywalker to lead his people."

"Do you think he'll take it back?" Jake asked.

"Hmm?"

"Do you think he'll be chief again." Jake asked nervously.

"I am not sure, how do we even know he wanted it?"

"That's true.."

We sighed in unison, I guess the Olangi saw our sad faces because they soon dragged us into the dance circle.

"Oh no no I do not dance!" I shouted as I began to bust out some old school moves.

Jake laughed at my groovy dance and then proceeded to trip on his own tail.

I was swept away by an Olangi man and we danced to the beat of the drums, fire and ash sprang into the darkness. Each step we took made a sound that paired quite well with the music. I laughed and cheered as the song ended, I looked over to where Tsu'tey was only to see him disappearing into the forest, I quickly followed him.

In the night, it was easier for me to see everything since I was used to the dark. The environment almost reminded me of my home. I found him standing underneath the tree of souls as he wrapped his queue around one of the hanging cords. I walked towards him slowly as to not disrupt.