Chapter 31

Xavier ordered a delicious Barolo to go with the veal steaks and sweet potato fries he had brought up for us

Xavier ordered a delicious Barolo to go with the veal steaks and sweet potato fries he had brought up for us. Michele also dropped off several bags from Neiman Markus, but those were set aside for 'later' so we could eat.

Once Michele left, we set up a picnic on the floor surrounded by cushions because the penthouse banquet table felt far too formal. It also felt morbidly ironic eating veal under a chandelier made from bleached elk antlers.

After two (very full) glasses of earthy red wine and enough yummy food to make me burst, Xavier pulled off my shoes and massaged my worn feet.

Sensual cello music played over the warmth of a gas fireplace while I slowly relaxed under the strength of his capable hands unhurriedly kneading my knotted muscles.

"You have sexy feet," he mumbled with a sinfully attractive smirk that dimpled his cheek, "I didn't get a chance to fully appreciate them the first time around."

The pad of his thumb pressed down on my heel and ran the length of my foot to release a flurry of pleasant tingles up my calf. I all but melted into a puddle as his healing touch sent erotic shockwaves to tickle my panties.

"Hmmm, I'm very appreciative of your attentions now," I moaned involuntarily when he started on my other foot as my eyes fluttered shut.

The erogenous sensations overtaking my lower half were incredible. Like the tiny sparks sweeping and swirling through my blood were about to spontaneously combust.

His grip was strong enough to leech the anxiety from my bones, and yet, so possessively tender that all I wanted to do was yield.

And letting go felt so good that I let the rest of my convoluted questions and fears from the hellishly long day slip away too. All the suspicions, and apprehensions, and batshit crazy assumptions melted into a tumult of riotous sensations.

I didn't protest when his hands worked their way up my calf, pulling and stretching until the muscles felt like warm saltwater taffy. 

The scandalized noises falling from my mouth were embarrassing, yet I couldn't help it. Xavier intrinsically handled my pressure points the same way he drove his car, feeling for the thrum of my body before fluently shifting gears.

"I want you in the bath, Bellezza," his sensual smile tickled in my sex.

If a fortune-teller had predicted this end to my day, I would have demanded a refund.

Never in a million years did I dream I'd be back in the arms of Xavier De Luca, the boardwalk billionaire's scion, and self-professed mobster. The alarmingly attractive and intensely dangerous man who used to be on intimate terms with the daughter of my brother's killer.

Then he went and told me the truth when no one else would and kissed me like it was all he wanted to do with his last breath.

Who was I kidding