Chapter 42

Being escorted back to Los Angeles by Mia and her stepmother was almost as humiliating as watching Pa sign away our livelihood to Luigi Bianchi

Being escorted back to Los Angeles by Mia and her stepmother was almost as humiliating as watching Pa sign away our livelihood to Luigi Bianchi. Even our private jet was his, which came with our small and stunned, crew.

Everything was shit, so I downed half a bottle of Macallan single malt to numb the sting during takeoff.

Luigi won, plain and simple.

Barring some sort of miracle, we'd lost everything my forefathers gave their blood sweat, and tears to build.

And I was going to lose Grace before I even had a chance to show her how much she meant to me.

We were minutes from beginning our descent when my phone buzzed against my thigh. Mia felt it first, but she kept grinding against my crotch as if she could somehow wake my cock from the dead.

I was too wasted to even push her off, so I let the call go to voice mail.

Christian was on his phone to Lucia, trying to calm her down because she'd been baby shopping when every single one of their cards had been declined.

Pa was speaking in hushed tones with Andreas while Maria Bianchi played Candy Crush on her phone a few seats away.

When my pocket buzzed again, it tickled a thought into my inebriated brain. I vaguely remembered that something, or someone, might still need to talk to me.

I shifted and rolled to pull my phone out of my pocket, pitching Mia straight off my lap and onto the floor.

"What the actual FUCK!" She screeched, flailing to cover her ass cheeks with her teeny skirt. "Xavier!"

How someone could pay as much as she did for so little fabric was beyond me.

The deep V-neck of her wrapped crop-top barely held back her comically large fake boobs while the pleats of her schoolgirl-inspired tennis skirt left very little to even the dimmest imagination.

I caught one of her bodyguards eyeing the space between her pin-thin legs with a knowing smirk, but I gave zero fucks. Someone was trying to get ahold of me, and they were probably far more interesting than my fiancé.

"Are you kidding me?" Mia screeched, scrambling to get up and scold me. "You're actually going to answer your phone right now?"

My vision was slightly blurry, and I was more than a bit tipsy, so I had to hold my phone inches from my face to see that it was Matteo calling. That jolted me to attention and temporarily cleared the fermented fog I'd been wallowing in.

Mia leaned over the seat to place her fake nails on the armrests on either side of me, pushing her beachball tits in my chin as a distraction.

"Don't touch me!" I lurched upright to head for the bathroom. "Fuck, I'm gonna be sick."