VIII

JE

Staring at the far distance below the bright sun, a small figure of a young girl was running towards me with a large, cheery smile hanging on her face.

I smiled at her too, while waving energetically, hinting at her to come to me.

"Jieun unnie!!" She stopped in front of me and handed me a cup of milkshake.

"Ahh, thank you for the milkshake, Haein~" I thanked her and brought her towards the shelter to avoid sunburn.

"Banana?" I asked her as I watched her sipping her drink happily like a tiny puppy.

"Do you like banana flavour too? My favourite is banana ahaha," She laughed and looked up into the sky.

It seemed as though she was high-spirited today. I hope I will be able to see this side of her everyday, how lively yet endearing.

Deep in my heart, my thoughts told me that it was my responsibility to take great care of Haein. Even though I might not know her better than Minhyuk, it was still a must for me to protect that bright smile of hers.

Minhyuk, don't you worry.

I will take care of your cute sister for you.

"Haein-ah, to be honest, I've been quite confused with some things. Your brother once told me that your parents have abandoned you all, is that-" I stopped as I noticed the sudden change in her facial expression.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"Nono, it's totally alright Jieun unnie. It's normal to be confused about things like that haha.

 That's right, some may think that they abandoned us, but... 

The truth only belongs to the two of us. As long as we both know the truth, it is alright for others to judge," I looked at her teary eyes and had no idea how to comfort her.

Oh no,...

I've ruined the mood now.

"You know, oppa only said that because he hated the fact that they left us all alone when we were still kids. 

He couldn't accept the truth and run away, hoping he could escape from this nightmare. 

And so I was abandoned once again, by my parents and Park Minhyuk," She continued and wiped her tears.

He...

run away...?

Tcsk,... how selfish

"Haein-ah,... it must have been really difficult to endure this pain alone.

You have been a really strong person, much stronger than anyone I know. 

Much stronger than your brother. 

It was very wrong of him to leave you like that," I patted her shoulder as I saw her looking into my eyes with a tiny smile.

"Yea, unnie. You should really scold him haha."

"But my parents,... they did pass away from an accident," She looked on the floor and sighed.

"An accident...?"

"Yes,... exactly the one that you were thinking.

They died from a car accident...,"

H

After the small talk with Jieun, I walked home today instead of riding the bus. Talking to Jieun was a relief, it honestly felt much better to release my thoughts to someone than keeping it all to myself.