Chapter 8: I'm Sorry (Angst)

(Prompt: Mortis mourning over a dead Colt)

Mortis stared at a framed picture of him and Colt together, holding hands and laughing. He missed the times they had but he knew that they couldn't do what they had did. To put it simply, Colt was dead. He was gone and Mortis knew it. It was a tragic accident. The whole town knew what had happened and mourned his loss. The poor sheriff whom everyone trusted and had sworn to protect that town was gone.

On that very day when Mortis heard the news. He froze. He knew that he would see his partner die since he was immortal but he never knew it would be so soon. He didn't dare say a word for the rest of the day. He locked himself in his room for the whole day, trying to process the sudden news of his boyfriend found dead in an alley.

The next day, he was forced to leave his room for the first time. His eyes were all puffy from crying and had deep eye bags. He was comforted by his neice, Emz, and was brought to the place where Colt was at to see him for the last time. Colt's skin was pale compared to the deep red cuts and huge bruises decorating his body. His eyes were closed and looked as if he was in a peaceful sleep. Who knew it was tge lat one he would ever have.

On the day of the sheriff's funeral, everyone had gather around. Even Bull, Bibi and crow had attended out of pity for the poor man. They all dressed in black and said their final goodbyes to the person before they watched Colt get buried behind Mortis's mansion, the place where he had been staying at.

Months had passed since the funeral. Everything in the town had returned back to normal but things weren't as cheerful or happy as things were. The mansion that Mortis was staying at was now silent. There were no laughter. No playful teasings. Only silence.

Mortis looked at the painted portrait of Colt before hanging it up. He knew Colt wasn't the first person who he had dated and died, but he was different. He had made Mortis feel thing he had never felt. He was special to him. At least he is in a better place now, Mortis thought. If you were there, he wouldn't be dead. A voice echoed through his head. It's all your fault that he died.

It should have been you.

Tears started to well up in Mortis's eyes as he cumbled his knees, hands covering his face. He cried and pleaded in front of Colt's painting, wishing that this was all a dream, that he wasn't gone. He kept apologising over and over, blaming the death of his loved one on himself. Hours had passed and the cries of pain and grief had subsided to sniffles. He stared at the blank eyes of the painting before opening his dry mouth,

"I'm sorry."

Felt kinda sad. Made this story. Hope you enjoyed.