Matt Duchene: "Riddles"

You had liked a new guy at your college. He was a hockey player, and a good one at that. He was just a year older than you, making it easier to communicate with him.

Tonight you wet going to go on a date with him; he had asked you. "Who's this guy again?" Your older, chestnut brown colored shagged hair brother, Garrett, who also attended the same college asked. "Matt Duchene. Remember? The cute hockey player guy? I one was talking about? He's the real sweet one." You tried to remind your clueless brother who sat on your bed with you only in baggy mauve sweatpants. Garrett was picky when it came to his family members and dating. Let's just say he wasn't going to let you date a- "Scrub. This kid better not be a scrub because I'll take him out if I have to." Garrett put up two fists and tried to intimidate you. "How about you beef up some before that, yeah?" You chuckled and patted his bare stomach. Garrett was a very thin, almost scrawny guy, and not many people would be frightened by him for any good reason. "Just for that, I'm coming with you. So go on, get ready for your little get together and I'm coming with." Garrett crossed his arms. "You are NOT coming with me. Not in a million years." Your eyes became dangerous and Garrett noticed, but overlooked this detail. "Well thats fine with me but I think mom would feel horrible if I told her that you sold her fancy jewel egg because you didn't want it." Tensing up, you glared to your brother. "Garrett no please she absolutely cannot know I sold that thing." He shrugged. "FINE COME WITH BUT DON'T SAY ANY STUPID SHIT I SWEAR." Garrett chuckled. "Hurry on up!"

"Ask your little boyfriend if its okay if I come. That'll be our first test." Garrett said picking at his toes. "For one, he isn't my boyfriend yet. Two, stop picking at your toes!" You followed your brother's instructions.

"Hey, Matt....I just wanna let you know that my (dumb) older brother to come along tonight to make sure I'm getting into the right guy...Will it work out?"

You did you eyeliner with a bit of nerve in you. What if Matt called it off because of Garrett?

"Oh no, that's fine. As long I get to see you, no brother of yours would be of any trouble sweetie(:"

"Hey Garrett! What's tall and not smooth?" You asked. "Why are you telling me a riddle-" "You." You smiled sweetly to your older brother. "Oh how hilarious. You should do stand up comedy, eh?" He slumped around with a sour look on his face. "Look at this!" You showed Garrett the conversation. "I'm not dumb!" You rolled your eyes. "The point is that he passed the first of your little "Picky List". Garrett raised an eyebrow. "Picky List, huh? What am I to you? Nothing!?" Garrett began to cry fakely, obviously just being goofy. "Oh shut up you big child. You remind me too much Wane." Wane was the youngest of your family. He believed, as your ten year old brother, he was the king, despite the fact he knew nothing about managing a town or village, let alone himself. "Come on, don't compare me to that little shrimp." Garrett caressed his sharp jawline. A chill came over you, making you shake. "I'm gonna wear something warm today....I keep getting chills." You said getting up. You pulled out some black tights and a gray and orange striped sweater. "Oooh wear that infinite scarf thing to. You know the loopy one?" Garrett tried to give you fashion advice. "Thanks Mr. Fashionista." Was your response. "It matches okay! What kind of date is this anyways?" Sighing, you smiled. "We're going to a deli place. We didn't want anything too intense when we aren't overly acquainted. It's a nice deli place though. Not the one on campus." You had answered Garratt's question already, him being curious whether you were going to the dingy deli on campus that needed to be redone and hire better cooks. Flinging on the infinity scarf, you slipped your feet into some black vans. "You almost look super hipster." With a whip of your head, you sent a menacing glare to your brother. "I hear that so much and I don't even know why. It's not bad or anything but it just always happens!" Garrett widened his eyes and rolled them with an elevated sass. "I hate you."

Matt came by your dorm around six. He knocked in a significant little pattern, and it made you giggle. "He's here. And remember, his name is Matt." You informed Garrett. "I've got I've got it." Thankfully, Garrett had put on a hoodie with jeans. "Just in case a pretty girl comes a-walking my way, I don't want to look like complete trash." Opening to door to your dorm, you saw Matt in Colorado Avalanche jersey and jeans as well. Matt's dark hair was impeccable as always. "Good evening, my lady!" Matt greeted with a bow. You found him amusing, and curtsied. "Good evening, my sir. This is my brother...Garrett." You held out your hands as if to showcase Garrett. "Nice to meet you Garrett. It's a mighty fine day today." Matt shook Garrett's hand with a smile. "Let's go before this gets to be anymore!"

It was decided that Matt would drive to the restaurant. You had to force Garrett to let you sit with your date in the passengers seat and get him in the back. He pouted, but you didn't mind at all. "So Matt. What do you like to do?" You asked, trying to get him to say something that sounded good. "I like to play hockey. Actually, I love it. I've been into it since I was little. Your sister here has said that you guys are the same way." A chuckle escaped Matt's soft lips as he looked into the rear view mirror to make eye contact with Garrett. "We sure do love hockey. If you ever take ____(Y/N) out on the ice, be careful. She can be pretty sneaky." Warned Garrett. "I believe you hands down." Matt flashed a smile and continued to drive.

At the restaurant, you ordered your favorite; ____(Favorite food here). Garrett sat a table a little bit away, hoping to score a woman - despite the fact he was not cool enough for that. "Is really not a problem with him here? I just feel so odd about it..." You say nervously, rubbing the palm of your hand with the opposite hand's thumb. "It's really quite alright. He's a fun guy. My brother Jess was the same way when we were in middle school." Matt continued: "Hey, what's the difference between a hockey fight and a boxing match?" Matt suddenly pipes up. "I'm not sure." You answer. "In hockey, the fights are real." A sly smile crept across his face during his joke. "True!" You agree with him, laughing. Matt continued the date with a little game of telling each other stories about things that had happened in the past. Of course, there were many laughs, and you summed up the end of the small game. "We have quite interesting lives, wouldn't you say?" Matt asked with a smirk. "I would say so!" Without warning, there was a change in his eyes, but why? His complete focus was on you in that moment which seemed to slow in some cartoonish way. What made him like this? "You're beautiful, ____(Y/N)." He said instantly. His hands took yours. "T-Thank you." You thanked him shyly. "I have another riddle for you..." You were curious of what it could be now. "Who is five foot eleven inches, plays hockey, and wants to date you because you're so precious?" One of his eyebrows raised in question. "Sidney Crosby? I mean he is five foot eleven and plays hockey...." You joked. "No! Me silly!" You both laughed. "I have one too!" You said excitedly. "Hit me with it." "Who is a hockey fan, sitting in front of you, and wanting to be your girlfriend?" You asked. "Hmmmmmm...Well that one lady over there may be a hockey fan or something I don't know." He played it off as if he didn't know the answer was you. "No! It's me!" Matt laughed. "Good because ____(Y/N), will you be my girlfriend? I don't want to pass up on a good spirit like you." His smirk melted you. "Is that a joke, or are you serious?" He rolled his eyes and you nodded your head in delight.