Part 49

Nadine didn't know what to make of Alexander's call. She wasn't sure she was seeing the real man behind the defensive armor he had worn earlier on or if it was all sugary sweetness to try some other manipulative tactic in the end. And, her wolf was just as uncertain. There was a definite connection to the king. He was her mate, as chosen by the Moon goddess. However, her wolf hadn't fallen into a rush of need and animal instinct. Rather, she was cautious of the male. She cared for him, concerned for his health and safety, yet, still kept at arm's length or further. Nadine's past, Alexander's wolf taking over to kiss her... it left her wolf unwilling to draw too close yet, observing every movement and word, ready to fight back if he crossed lines again.

Closing her eyes, she tried to push her insecurities and confusion to the back of her mind. She had other concerns to worry about. Namely, the stream of vehicles arriving from the airport with two packs worth of donated guards she wasn't ready to face. Unfortunately, like much of her life lately, she had no choice.

"I thought I gave you a day off." She commented as Bruno slid into position alongside her. She stood at the front door, watching the vehicles roll to a stop. Beta Yuri and Anna stood at the bottom of the steps ready to greet the new arrivals while Alpha Markus stood off to one side.

The man remained silent for a moment. "I'm not letting you face them alone. No telling how your wolf will react."

The first out of a car was Alpha Ahran. He stood poised and ready for a fight. The alpha meetings were one thing, but to be in the royal pack with his own warriors, at the same time as another alpha was there with his... well, things were tense. The two alphas held respect for each other. However, their warriors were more likely to get into pissing matches and those kinds of things could have devastating consequences.

Slowly, a range of males and females filed out of the SUV's. They glanced at the other packs warriors, sizing each other up, yet stayed quiet.

"Welcome to the Volkov estates." Yuri started. "I'm assuming you all know why you are here."

"To help protect the new queen bitch." The tall blonde female who served as the Bosch pack's delta snarled.

Nadine was quick to growl back at the comment and tone. Her wolf had no patience for Heidi or her opinions of other people. The woman walked around the pack as though she owned the place when the alpha family wasn't around to stop her.

Frigid blue eyes snapped to the future queen. For a moment, the Bosch delta's brows furrowed and then widened. "Oh please! Don't tell me the king was cursed to have the omega runt as a mate. New clothes won't make her a queen. No wonder, they need our help..."

She didn't finish that sentence as Alpha Markus grabbed her by the throat and had her pinned to the car. "You know my rules." He snarled in her face. "You will not disrespect me, or my family. Now that Nadine is to be queen, that goes even more so for her. If you can't handle that, you can leave now and walk all the way back to Germany."

The delta gasped and fought against his hold until Nadine placed her hand on his and pulled him back.

Heidi took the opportunity to launch herself at Nadine. In one quick, fluid motion, the smaller woman slid to one side and started to shift, stopping only part way and then reversing course. It gave her just enough shift to have claws, which she used to slice into the delta's back as she sent her toppling to the ground.

"I think it's time your pack knew the truth, Alpha Markus." Nadine's voice was cold and calculating. She watched as Heidi regained her breath, hatred oozed from her pores. Then, before Heidi could think of retaliation, the former omega pushed every bit of alpha power into her voice. "You will submit."

The delta's eyes went wide, Nadine could hear other gasps and whispers as they all felt the alpha power in the air.

Slowly, Heidi turned her head to show her neck in submission.

Around her, Nadine could hear the words being whispered... people asking if she was Roman Zima's daughter, others asking how she had so much power, wondering when she found her wolf, questioning how she was able to gain claws and then not finish the shift. She didn't care. The rumors were already rampant around the palace. They would hear and learn from others. There was no point trying to stop it. Instead, she beat them to the punch.

"I am Nadine Grey, adopted daughter of Alpha Markus Bosch, formerly known as Nora Zima, daughter and heir of Roman Zima. I am an alpha female, and I am the mate of Alexander Volkov, the wolf king." She turned to look at all of them. "If you can't accept that, then challenge me. Trust me, my wolf has a whole lot of rage directed at the pack who demonized orphans like me or the pack who abused omegas like they thought I was. I welcome your challenges."

She quietly turned her back on them, showing them that she had more trust in her wolf and her strength than in whatever threat they could pose. Making her way back to the top of the stairs she turned one more time, beside a smirking Bruno, who's eyes stayed trained on the potential threats.

"Well, I guess my wolf won't get the exercise today." She shrugged. "In that case, let me make things very clear. You are not here to protect me. You are here to help defend this pack. You are here to help stop a rebellion. You are here to help make sure that small minded, backward, abusive wolves do not corrupt our world and abuse your families. If you can't handle that, talk to your alpha now. It is their place to determine consequences. If you stay, I won't tolerate anything less than commitment to protecting those who are weaker than yourselves. The elders, the youth, the lower ranked wolves of all levels; in this pack and your own. Because make no mistake, if Liam Wade or anyone comes after me again, they will not hesitate to hurt everyone else to get to me, including pups."

Silence hung in the air as they took in her words. Frowns and determination settled on faces.

By the goddess, she hoped that ended the drama. However, she doubted she was that lucky.