Part 53

Bruno followed his Queen through the woods, letting her set the quick pace as she let her wolf out.

She knew he was there, ready to try to stop her if her wolf took off for either of the packs her wolf hated. She had to admit that his presence actually calmed her wolf enough to keep some control. Something about the man had gained her wolf's trust and respect. Such a strange realization for Nadine.

Perhaps her wolf was starting to finally process the trauma. It had taken her years to even come close to trusting the alpha family who took her in, even then, it was minimal. No other member of the pack could get close to her. What made this male unique?

She huffed as she mentally shook away the thoughts. The truth was that he wasn't a part of her past, not from either pack, happily mated, loyal, and deeply devoted to serving in his role. She had no reason to not trust him. Still, trust was an illusive concept for her. And she hoped that he would remain loyal, and not damage the growth her wolf was showing.

She felt his breath on her haunch just before his sharp teeth grazed her fur. A warning of her direction, she had lost track of their path and could see the castle just through the trees. She wasn't headed for the pack warriors... or was she?

Stopping, Nadine perked her ears and searched her emotions, her wolf was growing more restless, growling so softly, she didn't think Bruno could even hear. But it wasn't a rush of rage, it wasn't a blind trauma response. Something felt off. She felt it in her chest.

Looking back, she saw Bruno's dark eyes watch her closely. Pointing her nose in the direction of the changing stalls behind the training center, she slowly padded toward the space, still trying to puzzle out what she felt.

"Your Majesty?" Bruno's worried voice called over the wall that separated them as they changed.

"Something feels off, I don't know why." She answered.

"Can you describe it?"

Just as he asked, the future Queen opened the door to her locker, only to hear the conversations happening just past the door on the inside.

"Will you get over it Heidi?" A female voice called. Nadine recognized it, but couldn't place a name to it.

A rather undignified huff responded. "That runt bitch is supposed to be queen? What a joke. How could I just let that go? Mating with her would be the worst thing the king could do."

"She's not really a runt. I was talking to some of the royal guards, and I guess she had been suppressing her wolf, but she is a female alpha. You felt it just like the rest of us."

The sound of a locker door closing echoed. "That's just it. She suppressed her wolf. Who does that? She's obviously mental, and weak because of it. What kind of queen could she ever be? Living years as an omega..." Heidi's rant was cut off.

"Enough." Another voice cut through, a voice Nadine didn't know at all, possibly from Zima pack. "You submitted Delta. Just as everyone did. If you really think you are stronger, then challenge the queen, or shut your mouth before you face charges of treason."

"Treason?" Heidi laughed. "Getting rid of her would be a blessing to us all, then the king could mate with someone far superior. You aren't from Bosch pack. You don't know just how pathetic that runt is."

"No Heidi, I agree with her. You are crossing serious lines here. I know you always thought you were meant to be Luna, but you are going somewhere that your father can't save you from."

The Zima girl cackled. "For fuck's sake. If you've only survived because daddy was there to protect you, then you deserve whatever comes your way."

"I'm Delta for a reason, bitch. I earned that myself."