Part 44

The palace was organized chaos as Nadine finally stepped out of her room.

The king had left to prepare for his departure, many others did the same. It didn't take long, the royal guards knew what they were doing and were always prepared. As he had come to learn, the only reason the Wade Pack had gained entrance to the area at all was because of the sheer number of guards focused on the alphas inside rather than the border. No one suspected a pack to try to attack at such a time. It was absolute suicide to try to take on the royal pack and all of the alphas at once. Something proven when the Wade warriors all fell, either dead or imprisoned. Only the two royal guards, patrolling where the pack crossed the border, had lost their lives in the ambush. Two compared to the dozens of warriors who infiltrated. Why did they ever think they could succeed?

It honestly broke her heart. So much death and violence over a student challenge? It didn't make sense. Isobel had challenged her and lost. That should have been the end of it. So, why go after the alpha pups? Why risk the rest of the pack?

Everything happened because she couldn't just keep her mouth shut and her hands to herself. Her damn wolf couldn't swallow her pride for a few seconds to let the challenge go. Her agitation over meeting her mate and fear of her rejection left her to act out in ways she wouldn't have otherwise. And what did it get her? Her entire life had been turned upside down.

She actually had a mate. But not just any mate. The fricken Wolf King himself. The alpha of all alphas. The emotionally distant asshole who tried to push her away, who tried to hurt her to protect himself.

The part of her, who understood her own struggles, understood his choices. She wanted to forgive him his mistakes. It would seem hypocritical to hold everything against him once she understood his past. He had every reason to not trust women, especially women who only sought power. She had unfortunately carried the cloak of an omega. She knew the negative views thrown at omegas. Whether justified or not, all omegas were viewed as loose and desperate to find a wolf of power to protect them. Her choice to suppress her wolf placed her in a category that painted giant signs over her head. She symbolized everything the king had a reason to hate.

What surprised her most, was that he never took it out on omegas. He was honest in his ignorance of the struggles omegas faced. He hadn't known of the abuse. So, he hadn't participated. Unlike the Zima pack, he didn't lash out at others for the pain of his past. He shut himself away from trusting anyone. However, he didn't punish others.

Not until he met her.

Truly, she could respect the man and his fears. She could forgive his emotional fortifications and his desire to protect himself out of fear and self loathing.

However, despite it all, she was still hurt. She was still scared and just as defensive as he was. On one hand, the image she first presented was a facade which could have triggered everything he feared, yet he realized over time that she wasn't that person at all. On the other, in his defensiveness, he showed her that he was capable of being the kind of male she feared. He was controlling and dominant, pushing her against a wall more than once. The nature of her mate being a king took her choices away. He was fierce and possessive, as she witnessed with his following her into the woods and fighting a damned bear.

At times he seemed vulnerable and almost tender, then others he reminded her of Lukas.

Could she ever get past that? Or would he prove her fears to be justified? Would he be just as bad as the monster who terrorized her for so long?

Rather than letting her mind continue down the path of such dark thoughts, Nadine made her way into the training center. A pair of guards she didn't really know followed her. Though what she found wasn't something she was prepared for.

Bruno stood in the second floor equipment area, completely pummeling the punching bags, while several trainees gathered below to watch and gossip.

"Damn, who pissed him off?"

"Didn't you hear, he's been assigned as the queen's guard, but she took off yesterday. I wonder if the king is punishing him for the failure?"

"Or I wonder what the queen will say when she catches you running your mouths like preteen girls." Nadine couldn't stop the words falling from her lips. The two who had been talking went pale as the group scattered. "Hey Clifford!" Bruno stopped what he was doing and tried to compose himself as he faced his future queen. "I was hoping to train. You up for a run?" The man simply nodded and made his way toward her.

The rest of the center remained silent and tense, waiting to see what would happen.

However, Nadine felt they needed to share a few words in private first. So, instead of the changing rooms, she led him toward an office first.

The second the door shut, she finally let her shoulders relax. "I'm sorry."

He shook his head and simply stared at her. He had a right to be angry, and given their difference in rank within the system, he knew better than to yell at his queen. So, silence it was. She understood all too well.

"I know it wasn't fair of me to order you to stay behind. It wasn't about you. None of it was about you. I trust you, but I... I..."

"What did he do?" The words were pushed through gritted teeth.

Oh! So, the anger wasn't at her, but at Alexander? Well that was good to know.

She offered a soft smile. "It doesn't matter." He started to protest before she cut him off. "I'm here. I'm here and not locked up. Which means we worked it out for the time being. I don't want to drag you into the middle of it more than you already are. And I'm sorry you feel like you need to play referee between your own alpha and I. I'm hoping that won't happen again."

Finally, his shoulders dropped a little. "I just don't understand how he can drive you away like that. You're his mate. You're everything a queen should be. What in the hell is wrong with him?"

She wouldn't tell Alexander's story. She wouldn't betray him like that. "He has his issues like I have mine. Unfortunately, they both led us to being defensive in a way that clashed with one another's triggers. We've talked it out some. He finally accepted me." The man's jaw dropped in obvious relief. "I suppose all we can do is take it slow and see where things go."

Bruno nodded. "I was really worried about you." He finally said and stepped forward to cup her face and really look at her. "You still have bruises. New bruises." He growled out.

"From a bear." She stated pointedly. She understood his assumptions but didn't like the idea of him immediately blaming her mate.

"I should have been there."

"I didn't let you. That's on me."

Nodding, he stepped back and finally took the position she had come to recognize from the man. He stood with his arms crossed and his feet apart, every ounce of the trainer and guard he was assigned to be. "Don't let it happen again half-pint."

"No promises." She sassed with a smirk on her face. "Now, about that run?"