Part 22

The meeting with Rashad had been a challenge. Alexander found it difficult to focus on the equipment requests and facilities updates the training center needed to be signed off on.

There was already so much to deal with, he assumed Nadine would spend the time with the other students before they left, or shopping for a dress for the ball. Anything other than drawing attention in the training center.

The students typically spent the last days of their semester packing and going to parties. All finished off with graduation on Friday afternoon and the graduation ball that night. The alphas were expected to attend, to welcome graduates or be informed of student problems through the semester. The rest of the weekend was set aside for the alphas to meet with the king. The students returned home, but it made sense to make use of the logistics of their presence.

With his mind on so many details, running his own pack, the training center, the university and the upcoming events... it hadn't occurred to him she would be in the training center already.

However, she was there. And obviously, the other trainees and staff had noticed the new girl who was being assessed.

Whispers and rumors already swirled.

No one expected much from the petite girl who bravely faced off with Bruno, one of the strongest of the training staff. He had to fight the smirk tugging at his lips. Underestimating her... a mistake he had already made.

Nadine held her own well. She wasn't strong enough to take him in direct hand to hand combat, but she knew her strengths and used them well. She was fast and knew how to manipulate her opponents with a well placed strike or firm pressure maintained to just the right place.

She took several hits, but drew an audience when she shoved Bruno's face into the mat while she twisted his hand into an awkward position. If he would have fought back, it would likely break have broken a couple of fingers. That tiny girl brought the experienced warrior to the floor.

Hell, even Rashad had a difficult time focusing on their meeting as he kept watching the sparring pair. Bruno got in his hits and pinned her more times than she got him. Still, the fact that she gained the upper hand at all was impressive.

Then, Bruno managed to get ahold of her shirt, the fabric pulled up to her shoulders, working to gain leverage to yank her head down. Without hesitation, Nadine pulled her head through the fabric, letting it pull away from her entirely, showing wide range of bite and slash marks across her flesh.

Alexander had heard of her past. Yet it did nothing to prepare him for the sight. Bite marks could be seen in both human and wolf shapes. Claw marks stretched down her back and around her hips.

There was no stopping the growl that left his lips. So dark and threatening, it stopped Bruno in his tracks. Something the girl made use of and tackled the trainer.

"Enough!" Alexander stormed out. "Put your shirt back on." He ordered Nadine as he made his way toward them.

With a huff, she stood up and put her shirt back on. Only then noticing the crowd with formed around them. The looks of shock and pity plastered on their faces, only hidden slightly by obvious questions.

Bruno stood up and faced his king with an emotionless mask. "Your Majesty."

"I think you got enough of an assessment on her human skills. The issue obviously isn't here. She can work on that later. Right now, the issue is with her wolf. Focus on that." Alexander fought his instincts to throw her over his shoulder and haul her away, protecting her from the eyes of everyone else.

"Of course, Your Majesty." Bruno nodded and led Nadine toward the locker rooms, telling her to choose a locker and shift, meet him in the courtyard.

Alexander shook his head as he followed. "No. I'll meet you outside the changing alcoves." He told Nadine. Bruno's brow rose, though he was smart enough to hold his tongue. "Last time she shifted, she tried to kill an alpha heir." The king answers and smirked as the warriors jaw dropped.

"A heads up would have been nice." Bruno mumbled before following his alpha out the side door toward the changing alcoves. Then he stopped outside and stared at Alexander. "She's the girl from the challenge?"

The alpha nodded.

"Well that makes more sense. Couldn't figure out why you added a trainee halfway into the year."

"She's not a trainee, just joining training. She needs to learn to control her wolf."