Part 18

"Don't you want to pack the rest of your clothes?" Alexander eyed the mess around the student dorm room. Black clothes carrying her scent were scattered everywhere.

With a sigh, Nadine shook her head. "Since I shifted, I've had a small growth spurt. Most of my clothes don't fit anymore." She had to hold back from growling at him for it. He was the one to order her to shift. It was his fault.

Amber eyes slid over her moving form. He hadn't noticed the change until she pointed it out. The girl was still tiny, only gained a couple of inches in height, maybe an inch in width. It was all so proportional, it didn't stand out as much of a change. Still, he supposed some clothing wouldn't fit. Part of him regretted how his actions seemed to keep causing her discomfort. However, another, deeper, primal part of him liked the changes. She had appeared almost frail before. He knew she had tone, had trained. However, her new size helped her edge toward an expression of strength.

Shoving sweats, leggings, loose t-shirts and sweaters into her bags, Nadine had to fight her desire to turn around and look at her mate. She could feel his eyes on her, however, she feared what she would see if she looked. Would it be disappointment? Frustration? Annoyance?

She didn't know what to make of him or his declarations. He wouldn't reject her because his wolf wouldn't let him? Seriously? He didn't know what he wanted to do about her?

She growled to herself. Could anyone be so arrogant?

By law, she wasn't permitted to reject a king. Rejection was painful for both mates. The emotional scars carried by the wolves wouldn't heal until another wolf could be found who could reach the wolf, coaxing them out once again, if that even happened at all. Some wolves lost themselves entirely, spiralling into insanity or took their lives all together. It was an emotional hell only second to the catastrophic pain of losing a mate to death. And it threatened a weakness no alpha could risk. Certainly not a king.

To reject an alpha was grounds for banishment. To reject the king was outright treason.

Yet, in that moment, Nadine would prefer the pain of rejection than the uneasy void he left her in. He offered no hope, no promises, nothing but more uncertainty and change.

"Have you talked to Alpha Markus about this plan of yours?" She had to stop her thoughts with something more productive.

The king rumbled. "I don't need his permission to have my mate stay in the palace."

That was news. Jolting up, she turned to look at him. "Did you tell him we're mates?"

"No."

"Does anyone know?"

"My mother and my beta know. And you're not to tell anyone. Not until I sort out a few things."

Throwing her hands in the air, she growled in frustration. "So, you won't tell anyone I'm your mate. But you expect me to move into the palace without proper permission from my alpha? Do you not see what would happen?"

"But you're not really Bosch Pack. You're Zima."

"And are you telling everyone about that?" She shrieked.

The king was once again confused by the girl. "No. Only the Elders know at this point."

Falling into her trashed bed, Nadine groaned. "Think about it very slowly. No one knows the truth but a small handful of people. So, every other pack only knows I'm the freak omega girl with an alpha wolf. If you have me move to the palace without Alpha Markus's permission he would be forced to seek retaliation. It's the law as I'm not just considered a member of his pack, but adopted into his family. You would cause an unnecessary conflict. And the way rumors fly through the packs, it will all mix with the shit they already say about me. The assumptions about omegas. All of it."