Part 25

Tapping impatiently on the table, Alexander wanted the day to be over. Unfortunately, it had only just started. As alphas went around the room, introducing themselves to start their semiannual meeting, his mind was on a petite, silver haired, bundle of trouble.

His evening hadn't gone as he had hoped. Elder Zima's unwarranted meddling had sparked a reaction in his mate which shouldn't have happened.

He had no intention of telling the others of her past. Yes, he agreed, Alpha Ahran deserved to know the truth. His hold as the alpha of Zima Pack was in question. The rightful heir was alive and of age to claim it. However, Nadine had made it clear she didn't want such an outcome. Alexander respected her wishes. And if, and that was a huge if, the king ultimately decided to accept her as his mate, then she would be his queen rather than the alpha of a different pack. There was no reason to bring such uncertain issues into public discussions.

Still, Nadine's panic sparked his instincts, his need to protect her from whatever caused her anguish. He wanted to help. Yet he had no answers for her. He couldn't tell her why he wouldn't accept her. He didn't know why anything had happened to her. Or if any of it would ever be alright. All he could tell her was the truth, he had no intention to tell the alpha's about who she was. Though he couldn't promise it wouldn't find its way to public knowledge from other sources.

"Liam Wade, from Wade Pack." The young alpha's voice pulled Alexander back into the present. "And I'll start things off with questioning why one of my pack members was attacked and humiliated without retribution toward the assailant?"

Oh really?

Alpha Markus chuckled darkly. "Perhaps your pack needs more training?"

A dominant growl echoed through the room. All bowed slightly to the king. "Are you challenging me Liam?"

The younger man glanced at the Wolf King who stood in all of his intimidating glory. "I'm asking a question."

"And I clearly advised you of the situation. Your pack member issued the challenge and stood by it. It was witnessed by myself and the Elders Council. The fight was clean and fair."

"I hear the girl was a wolf, hiding as a worthless runt. How is that a fair fight?" Spit flew from the Wade alpha's lips.

Alexander smirked. "Elder Morris, would you like to educate our soon to be deposed alpha?"

The Elder's eyes sparkled with mischief. He loved to put younger wolves in their place. "We have investigated. Nadine Grey was enrolled as the adopted daughter of an alpha. No claim of rank or title was given. No claim of rank or title was announced. Though the girl never denied other students assumptions, she never acknowledged them either. The truth was, she had always been admitted to the school as the daughter of an alpha. It is the responsibility of anyone issuing a challenge to accept the responsibility of knowledge and all consequences. That does fall on your gamma's daughter. As for your question on a fair fight..." He lingered. "How would any fight between a warrior of gamma blood and an assumed omega, be fair? Do all of your members only issue challenges against those they presume to be able to defeat easily? Your pack member issued a challenge that brought shame to your pack. She was lucky the girl could fight, weakening that glaring error in judgement. You know the rules Liam Wade. After all, we also witnessed your own challenge when you attended the school."

The alpha started to open his mouth in response, only to be cut off by the king. "Sit down and close your mouth now, or I will take it as a challenge. You have used all of your possible chances and then some. You will not question my ruling or the reputation of the Elder's Council further."

The young alpha had way overstepped his boundaries and the king had every right to take the challenge already. However, he knew his power and strength. More importantly, he knew how on edge his beast was to protect the girl in question. Alexander didn't trust himself to simply teach the pup a lesson, if he allowed it to progress to a fight, he would kill the Wade alpha. In an effort to avoid that, he let it slide as far as his wolf could handle. But one more challenge, and he would fight.