II. I Didn't Think It Could Get Worse

I am woken up by the feeling of Eva's soft paws prodding my face, and someone hastily knocking at my door. I groan and pat Eva on the head before picking her up and sitting her on the ground.

"Come in!" I shout, assuming it's my maids bringing me breakfast. To my despair, it's my villainous cousin, two cups of tea in hand.

"Y/N! Oh—you're a wreck." She says, glancing at my state. I'm still in my dress from the feast, my hair is knotted, and I can imagine how puffy my eyes are.

"Selene—what time is it?" I groan, piling blankets over my head and contemplating death.

"It's time for you to drink this tea," She pulls the blankets off of my face and gestures for me to sit up. I comply and take the warm cup from her hand.

"Can you explain to me why you're here please?"Im not in the mood to fake niceties this morning.

"To help you prepare for your wedding, of course!"

"Selene..." I sip the tea she brought for me, hoping she was feeling extra vengeful and added a few drops of poison.

"And the do something about...this." She gestures to my hair and dress and face, more specifically the hateful look I'm shooting at her.

"Whatever." I sigh, letting her lead me to the bathroom to clean me up.

"You know, I'm really going to miss you Selene." the words are a complete lie, and both of us know it. I'm sitting in the vanity chair, facing a mirror while she fixes my hair.

She shifts on her feet, smirking and biting back a smile before saying,"That's actually what I wanted to tell you..." she pulls another piece of my hair back into an intricate braid.

My heart stops. She wouldn't be coming to the palace with us after the wedding, would she? No, surely not. She's not royalty.

"What?" I ask, hiding my emotions.

"I'm coming to the palace with you, Y/N!" Her voice is like wind chimes, probably dazzling the three maids who are working fervently on my dress behind her. But it doesn't fool me.

I sputter out in disbelief, "Wh—really? Why?" I try my hardest to sound excited but I end up sounding utterly sarcastic.

She flushes crimson, "Edmund asked me to come." she says his name like a taunt, to make me snap. And while I hate to admit it, it just might work.

"Why would he do that?"

"After you...er—ran off  last night, he and I really got to talking."

"You did?" I'm gripping the armrests of my chair now, feeling the beginnings of a tightening lump forming in my throat.

"Mhm. He's very nice, you're lucky." She speaks so causally, adding in graceful little shrugs every once in a while.

"So, why did he ask you to come to the palace?" I knit my fingers into the fabric of my silk robe angrily.

"Don't be naive, Y/N..."

I don't say anything, only stand up and distance myself from her.

"You know that royals don't marry for love, they marry for convenience. To help their people..."

"What's your point?"

"Let's just say Edmund found someone he's actually interested in. And someone who's actually interested in him." When I don't say anything she continues, "That person is me."