XV. I'm On Your Side

Y/N'S POV

We share a bed again. As far away from each other as possible, facing opposite directions, and even then I feel as though I can't breathe. I want to be in his arms, even though I'm perfectly warm, even though things will probably never be the same between us. He's fast asleep now, and I lay quietly memorizing the maps he drew for me in the light of my bedside lamp.

After leaving Edmund's room earlier, I rode out into the woods. I pushed my horse to go as fast as possible, the stinging wind in my face was a welcome distraction to what my life has turned into. What it will not be for much longer.

I placed the tattered wing into its designated slot and stared at the book, my heartbeat so loud the trees could probably hear it.

Step 6: One more step to go, you'll be gone so soon. If you really want to leave, I'll need the flower that only blooms under a full moon.

A million ideas entered my brain at once. When is the next full moon? How am I supposed to know what the flower looks like? Where is it grown? One person in particular stuck out, someone who could answer all of these questions, and more: Lucy.

But by the time I arrived home, I was already almost late to Caspian's stupid training session. Which proved to be very fun, I even had a chance to take out some anger on Edmund. Anger I didn't even know was there until it showed itself.

So tomorrow morning, I will ask Lucy as many  flower-related questions as possible, without seeming suspicious. I'll wait as long as I need to for the next for the next full moon, whether it be a day or a week or a month, it will be worth it. I'm so close to freedom I can taste it on my tongue.

Though I'm not sure if the flavor is bitter or sweet.

-

I wake up with a thumping heart, knowing I had dreamt something scary but not quite remembering what it was. Edmund is already out of bed, I slept in too late. I toss the thick blankets off of me and dash out of the bedroom, into the living room where Edmund is drinking his tea. My cat is curled up on his lap, fast asleep as he strokes her back.

"Morning." He mumbles quietly with a teacup pressed to his lips. I don't say anything, simply walk past him to the bathroom.

I quickly slip into my clothes and force a brush through my hair. Before I head out the door, I grab a few muffins off of Edmund's breakfast tray. He doesn't protest, just gives me a questioning look to which I explain, "For Lucy." As if that covers everything.

Normally, that would have been a much longer conversation that probably included muffin-tossing and a permanent smirk sat on both of our lips, but not anymore. I don't have time for that now.

So I hurry out the door and rush down the halls, shoving one muffin in my mouth and keeping the other held tight in my hand.

"Y/N? Oh, hi! Is that for me?" Lucy is all smiles when I open the door, taking the muffin from my hand with a delightful laugh. "Come in, come in!" She opens the door wider and motions for me to join her in her chambers.

Her living room is exactly what I should have expected. leaning stacks of worn books decorate each corner, and prospering plants in intricately designed pots cover her coffee table and fireplace mantle. Small crystal prisms hang in front of her open windows, the sunlight casting through them and creating tiny rainbows on every wall.