XIV. Crossing Blades

I knock on my brother's door three times before he answers.

"Y/N? Wh—is everything okay? You look like you've been—"

"Yes, I'm fine." I quickly cut him off, "Can I uh...can I sleep in here tonight?"

"What happened?" He asks hesitantly, letting me in to his room.

"It's nothing, really." Yes it is, I just ruined everything. "Edmund and I just had an argument and I want to sleep here. Is that okay?"

"Yes, of course. I—I'm really tired. Do you have any pajamas I can change into? I'll sleep on the couch." I tighten my hands into fists, still on edge from the argument.

"Nonsense. You'll take my bed."

"Caspian." I don't deserve the bed, and I don't deserve my overcompensating brother.

"I'll sleep on the couch, it's okay." He places a soft hand on my shoulder. I'll give you some pajamas and let you take a shower."

"Thank you."

He leaves to enter his bedroom, and I lay a hand on the spell book tucked under my shirt. I'll have to find some way to hide it tonight, he can't find out. And while I appreciate Caspian's hospitality, he is still the root reason I'm in this situation to begin with. I still haven't forgiven him for that.

I need to get the last step and leave. More than ever.

"Here you go." Caspian suddenly enters the room again and hands me a stack of clothes. I nod at him and hurry into the bathroom, in desperate need of a shower and time alone.

When I get out of the shower, I come out of the bathroom and see Caspian laying on one of the couches with a pillow and a few blankets. The fireplace crackles and the stars glimmer outside.

"Hey, before you go to bed," Caspian says from his position, making me jump. I thought he was asleep. "I just had an idea, wanted to run it by you."

"Oh...sure. Go ahead." I smooth out my too-big pajamas.

"So you know how there's been an uptick in Narnian-on-Telmarine attacks lately?" The only two instances I can't think of are the werewolf attack on me, and the bear attack on Selene. But sure.

"Yeah, yeah I know."

"Well, I think it would be good idea if we had some kind of training class in the palace? We could practice with swords and stuff, spar each other. It would be fun and protective."

That is an awful idea. "That's a great idea!"

"You think so?"

"Yeah, really great." I'm itching to get into bed, I can feel the book slipping down my loose pant leg.

"I think I'll ask that little talking mouse to teach it. He knows how to handle a blade."

"The what?"

"You'll see."

"Well...okay then. Goodnight, Cas."