X. Killing Two Birds With The Same Vengeful Stone

It isn't until the night after the ball that the next step in my great escape is revealed. We had left the book open on our bed, flipped to the page. Each time one of us passed it, we would check to see if anything had been written. All day there was nothing.

Until late that night, I've just gotten out of the shower and I'm about to join Edmund in bed. I pass by the book, barely sparing it a glance. It's hard to see in the darkness of our bedroom, but it looks like something new has been added.

"Hold on..." I whisper, picking the book up and squinting. I reach over absentmindedly and turn on my bedside lamp, causing Edmund to groan.

"Ugh, what're you doing?" He asks, pushing the heels of his hands into his eyes. "I was asleep!"

"There's a new step!" I say as my eyes adjust to the light. I read what has been written.

Step five: You've lived your life another day and decided that you will not stay. This next step is very tricky, the feather of a phoenix is what you will bring me.

"What's it say?" Edmund asks, voice still groggy from sleep.

"Here." I toss the book at him.

"Hey!" He throws his hands up, defending his face from a fatal blow. He grabs the book up and holds it over his face, reading every line. The corners of his lips downturn in a small frown, and he clicks his tongue. "So basically," He chuckles, "we're screwed."

"What?"

"There is only one family of phoenixes on this side of the country. And their nest? It's on top of a mountain." He raises his eyebrows as I take in everything he says. "So, figure that one out. I'm going to sleep." He closes the book and reaches his arm across the bed, trying to turn my lamp off.

"Nope!" I catch his wrist in my hand before he can reach it, "We are staying up until we come up with a plan."

He raises his eyesbrows at me and yanks his hand from my grasp, "Fine."

Having a whole day without any objective or great adventure has made me antsy. At the mere thought of escape, my heart rate quickens. I've also had a lot of time to think about my...uh, confusing feelings for Edmund. I've decided that it's best to ignore them as much as possible, and complete every step before the inconvenient emotions get out of control.

"So, where is this aforementioned mountain?" I ask, sliding into bed next to him as he sits up. I lay the open book in front of us.

"It's west, I think. Probably a couple hours' ride."

"That's not so bad—"

Edmund sharply cuts me off, "But what you're not taking into account is how long it will take to climb it all the way to the top. Two days, at the very least." He says all of this tiredly, like he would rather be anywhere than in this bed having this conversation with me. "And with it becoming winter and all, who knows, there could be snow and ice. There's also the fact that phoenixes are very prideful creatures who can literally spit fire. Another thing we have to think about—"

"Stop talking. Please, ugh, you're giving me a headache." I groan, pressing my hands into my face. "Why are you in such a...negative mood? That's my job."

"You woke me up." He shrugs. I frown and lay my head down on the pillow, my eyes suddenly heavy with exhaustion. Edmund lays down facing me, his big brown eyes pouring into mine. "How about we talk about it tomorrow?"

"Good idea," I yawn. A small smile graces his face and I squint at him, "What?"

"Nothing," He shakes his head, "Nothing." He suddenly reaches past me and clicks off the lamp, "Good night."