XIII- The Consequences Of My Own Actions

(sorry about this one guys...)

It's the night after the phoenix attack. We've already had our bonfire, shared our stories, and gone into our tents. Edmund lays beside me, the two of us warm under piles of blankets. It's nice to finally lay down, because the day managed to be even more eventful after the phoenix attack.

When we arrived back to the campsite, we found that Selene had been brutally attacked by a bear. Not joking. She wasn't dead, unfortunately, she just has a few deep scratches on her stomach, almost identical to mine.

It was way too far to head back to the castle, so she was very lucky that Peter had brought along practically the entire infirmary in his bag. He cleaned her wounds and bandaged her up in his tent, then she was good as could be.

As for Edmund's burns, they didn't get too deep and he should be fine. Thankfully. On the topic of Edmund, he has been surprisingly quiet all night. Barely talked during the bonfire, and isn't talking now. I assume he's still shaken up from the events of earlier.

"Hey, are you awake over there?" Edmund suddenly whispers from beside me.

"Yeah," I smile, turning to face his dark eyes, twinkling in the moonlight. "I was just thinking about today."

"It was very...eventful." He turns so that he's laying on his back, facing the ceiling.

"Did you have something to say?" I ask, wondering why he has started talking in the first place. I had begun to think that he was already asleep.

He seems to think for a second, furrowing his eyebrows and chewing on his bottom lip, "No, never mind. I'll tell you tomorrow. It's not that important." His sentences are short and terse, I sense something is wrong.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'm sure. Good night." Okay, what is his deal?

"Uh...yeah, Night."

The next morning we will begin our climb back down. It's much faster and easier to climb down a mountain than up one, apparently, because it will only take us one day. At least, that's what Caspian says.

"Did you sleep good?" I ask as Edmund and I pack our tent up.

"Yeah, I slept fine. You?" Is he still acting weird like last night?

"I think I slept a lot better the night before." I say slyly, referring to how we had slept, with his arm holding me close to him.

I see him bite back a smile before nodding lightly, "That was a lot more comfortable." There's the Edmund I know.

Then I remember, "You said you needed to tell me something last night, what was it?"

His face turns red and he scratches the back of his neck, "Uh, I don't remember."

I eye him suspiciously. "Well...if you do, just let me know. Okay?"

"Yeah, okay."

Shortly after that odd exchange, we leave. The only thing I can think about is how weird Edmund has been acting, how quiet and tense he's been. The lack of sarcastic remarks is troubling as well, so I plan to ask him if something is wrong once we are alone.

For the entire trip down, he barely even talks to me. The nervous and constant red hue his face carries reminds me of another time, after the werewolf attack, when Edmund had been nervous to ask me if he could come along on all of the trips. It seems so long ago now, but he had been acting the exact same way.