V. Things Get Real

Y/N'S POV

The morning after Edmund and I's argument I feel terrible. Not because of the argument itself, but because of the copious amounts of champagne consumed afterwards.

I don't wake him up in the morning, because he's not going to be a part of my day like he was yesterday. When we woke up extra early to head down to the library. Instead, I get up on my own and take a much needed shower, scrubbing away the tension and regrets from the previous night. Afterward I drink my usual morning tea, which seems to dull the throbbing headache working my brain.

Edmund still hasn't woken up when I braid my hair back and put on an outfit appropriate for my adventurous plans for the day (dark brown pants and a white flowing shirt). I lace up my leather boots and slip out of the door, with the spell book tucked under my arm. Ambition courses through my veins.

Today I begin my journey to escape.

I walk quickly down the hallways, having to hold myself back from breaking into a full-pelt run. I've never been to the Whispering Wood, or anywhere that far away from the old Telmarine palace. Earlier I folded up an old map into the spell book in case I get lost, but I think I should be able to make it.

It's pretty early, so I saunter through the halls mostly unnoticed. I've almost made it out of the palace when a slightly familiar voice calls out to me, a hint of amusement in his voice.

"Where are you going this early?" Peter asks me. I spin around and notice him walking toward me, a polite smile on his lips and a sword sheathed on his hip.

I stutter over my words, He can't know. "I-I was just going out for a ride in the forest."

"Fancy that." He says, finally reaching me.

"What?" I ask, tucking the book close to my side nervously.

"I do that every morning, mind if I join you?" Great, just great.

"Of course not!" I offer him a tight-lipped smile. He reaches past me to push open the door leading outside, and my breath gets caught in my throat from the close proximity. Selene was right about one thing: Peter is gorgeous. Together, the high king and I head out to the stables.

His horse is a magnificent white one with a silky ivory mane and legs as strong as tree trunks. Mine is ash gray and sleek, I've had her since I was eleven.

"So, what's in that book?" Peter asks as he mounts his horse, shifting his hips and grabbing the reins.

I tuck the book into the waistband of my pants and hide it under my shirt, thinking of an explanation, "It's uh...it's a sketchbook. I draw what I see out there sometimes." I place my foot into the stirrup and hoist myself onto my horse.

"Did you go riding often when you were in the Telmarine palace?" He asks as we leave the stables, cool morning air hitting our faces.

No, I think, I could scarcely leave my room, let alone the palace itself. "Oh yeah. Caspian and I did all the time as kids."

A comfortable silence falls over us as our horses trot toward the tree-line, the grass glittering under their hooves from the dewdrops. The sunlight streams through the branches as we enter the forest, casting a halo of light around Peter's tawny hair.

"I haven't talked much with Edmund lately, how is he doing with the whole..." Peter trails off.

"Arranged marriage?"