Tough Night

Aneeqa.

"This is gonna be horrible!" Lyrik whined, raking his hands through his hair nervously.

"No, it's not." I assured.

We were at the airport, waiting for my mum. It's Monday and it's the day my mum's coming back to Nova. Lyrik is freaking out about his phobia of talking to adults politely.

Is that even a thing?

"Yes it is. I'm gonna end up ruining everything!" He said, his voice, alarming

"No, you're not."

"Yes I am. Your mum's going to hate me!". He panicked.

"No, she won't." I said flatly while trying to peer over the numerous heads for any sight of my mum.

"Yes she would. And then she may never approve of us being together—"

"Lyrik." I turned to him and held him at arm's length. "Pull yourself together!" I said, shaking him vehemently.

He stopped ranting but the look of worry was still on his face.

"You're going to be just fine. I mean, Jaxon is an adult and you can talk to him." I said, draping my hands from his shoulders.

He gave me a blank look. "Do you really want me to talk to your mum the way I talk to Jaxon?"

I paused and when I actually reasoned it, I realized he was right.

He can not talk to my mum the way he talks to Jaxon.

I smiled sheepishly at him, and he went back to his nervous breakdown.

"I really wish kyan was here. He'd know what to do. He always does." Lyrik said and I agreed with him.

Just then, I saw my mum walking past the many crowds of people with her suitcase rolling behind her.

"She's here!!" I said excitedly and Lyrik squeezed my hand nervously.

I pulled him with me towards her while he whined that he wasn't done with his rehearsal.

"Mum!" I called out and she looked up, met my gaze and instantly smiled

I walked up to her and engulfed her in a hug to which she responded with more fervor.

"Baby, I've missed you so much". She cooed before letting go of me.

"Me too". I said smiling with satisfaction before noticing her glances at Lyrik.

"Oh. Lyrik, this is my mum. Mum, this is Lyrik," I took in a breath, "my boyfriend."

Her lips parted slightly as she looked from me to Lyrik.

I seriously didn't know how she was gonna take it but I'm certainly old enough, so..

"Boyfriend." she said.

I could literally hear Lyrik's voice falter when he spoke up.

"Mrs D'elvano, I'm Tevette Lyrik and I'm certainly pleased to finally meet you."

Hey, that wasn't so bad. In fact, that wasn't bad at all. He was actually being polite.

"Okay, That's nice." she said, nodding, with a small smile on her face.

I let out a breath, I didn't know I was holding.

"But, you look really familiar." She said, turning to Lyrik. "Have we met before?"

I was afraid she was going to ask this.

Lyrik opened his mouth but no words cane out and I don't blame him. I also didn't say anything. Not like I knew what to say.