2. We Are One

9 y.o. me ran through the snows of Winterfell, ready to head out of the gates and into the Wolfswood. My father, Ned, grabbed me and held me in his lap before I could do anything else. “Where do you think you're going?” he asked while tickling me. “Father, let go!” I laughed. “I just want to play.” “I know you do, but I need you to be careful, Y/N. Dangers…” “…can lie anywhere in the Wolfswood. I know, I know.” I finished his sentence annoyed.

“As you see, I remember. Can I please go play now?” My mother showed up. “Do you remember your rule, love?” “- Stay on the path Father marked for me. If I see any strangers, don't talk to them. Come straight home. - Can I go now? Please?” I begged. My father smiled and pecked my cheek. “I'll be careful.” “I know you will. But I still can't help but worry. Lannisters roam outside of the city,”
“Lannisters? What are they like? Why do they live outside the city?” “Trust me, you don't want to know.” “But-” “Some things are better if unsaid. Now, off you go.”

I followed my father's path, my bow, Lightbane, and my quiver of arrows slung on my back. Then my gaze met a long line of tree trunks. The Kingswood, I thought. Should I check it out? No. I promised to be careful. Just once, I won't be caught. I headed inside the trees and away from the marked terrain.

I walked through the woods. The summer breeze made it seem normal, but the trees were so dense that it was a little darker. After a longer walk, I found a clearer spot in the forest, and tripped. I fell over a person, I noticed, and saw a boy under me. He looked about my age, and had short golden hair.

“Hello?” I called, hoping he would answer. He turned around and when he caught my eyes, his gaze was sour. Almost disgusted. “What are you doing here, Stark?” He growled, almost aggressively. “Who are you? And how do you know my name?” He scoffed at the question. “That is not relevant. And you have them Stark features, girl. They're impossible to get wrong.” I hummed in response. I paid his arrogance no mind, even though it was kind of suspicious.

“So, why are you here? Are you lost?” “No. My sister was supposed to watch over me, but I ran away. I don’t need her, I can handle myself. This land is my own.” I was surprised at his confidence, but we were caught off guard by a roar. When I turned around, I was face-to-face with a bear. “Whoa! Run!” I exclaimed at him. He ran to a certain direction and I followed, the bear on our heels.
I shot an arrow at it, piercing its arm. It let out a pained noise, but didn’t give up. I kept trying, but this time I shot it with as much strength as I could right through its stomach. It roared louder, falling to the ground. The boy gave it a shove and it fell straight down a cliff.

We panted and met each other's gaze. Now that I took in his features, I actually realized how attractive he is. “You were really brave.” He commented. “Thank you. You were really brave, too.”“My name's Jaime.” He had a pretty cute name. “I'm Y/N.” I replied sweetly, almost making him crack a blush.

We started to play, and when he unsheathed his sword, two blades that were not ours, for they stood higher, met with a loud clank. Behind me was my father, Ned Stark, and a man with white hair that I didn't recognize held the blade on Jaime's behalf. On my father’s side were my mother on horseback, Theon and Osha, Jory and Rodrik Cassel and the rest of the guard.

“Tywin Lannister. You and your little son.” I perked up at the name. “You're… a Lannister…” I said softly to Jaime. In his face, the only response was terror and remorse. “Quiet,” Ned snapped and pushed me behind him. “I exiled you long ago.” He continued. “And I am well aware, Stark, but we lack resources in the little land we have. We had no choice.” “You know the penalty for coming back.” Tywin growled. “But the boy does not. If you need your piece of meat, here you go.” He shoved Jaime forward as if he was offering him to Ned. My father just glared at Jaime's shaking form, until he came to a decision. “Take him and go. Don't show yourself ever again.”
He grabbed me and put me on his horse. I slightly waved to Jaime, letting out a “bye”. He said it back, and we parted ways.

My father took me to the Godswood, followed by my mother. He nodded towards her and she smiled, reciprocating the nod. Then she took her leave, leaving me and Ned alone.

I looked at him and gave him a sheepish smile, but when his stern gaze met mine, it dropped. “You disobeyed me, Y/N.” “I’m sorry, Father. I was just curious.” “I know you were, but I got scared for you. If something happened to you, I-I wouldn’t know what to do. We are having a hard time raising you, Robb and Sansa at the same time, and without your help… I love you so much,” He explained. “And remember, you are the first…” “First in line to the throne. I know.” “You will be a powerful queen one day.” He said. I was tired of this; being ladylike sucks. Swinging a sword is all I want in life. Was I so unlucky to be born a woman and not a man?

“A lady's life is horrible: I don't want to hold a needle and thread, be forced into a political marriage and lose my virginity to some man that doesn’t even care for me. And I certainly won't care about him. I don’t want to be a lady.” Ned was not surprised about my speech: he knew my hate towards noble life all too well. “But that's like saying you don't want to be a Stark. It's in your blood, as I am. We are part of each other,” he spoke and threw a snowball at me. I looked up at him and he held a playful grin on his lips, making me crack a smirk of my own.
We looked at a crow nesting. A little crow tried to escape the nest and fly out.

As you go through life you'll see
There is so much that we
Don't understand

The bigger crow got him back to him place, which made me crack a sad smile.

And the only thing we know
Is things don't always go
The way we planned

Then the big crow tried to teach the little one how to fly.

But you see everyday that we'll never turn away
When it seems all your dreams come undone

It fell, but its mother grabbed it before it hit the ground and it started flying. I grinned at the scene.

We will stand by your side
Filled with hope and filled with pride
We are more than we are
We are one

We started racing through the woods, chucking snowballs at each other.

We are one
We are one
If there's so much I must be
Can I still just be me
The way I am?
Can I trust in my own heart
Or am I just one part
Of some big plan?

We went down to the crypts, where my deceased grandfather's face was shown. Rickard Stark of Winterfell.

Even those who are gone
Are with us as we go on
Your journey has only begun
Tears of pain, tears of joy
One thing nothing can destroy
Is our pride deep inside
We are one

We are one
We are one
We are one you and I
We are like the earth and sky
One family under the sun

Then we went to the throne room, where my father's seat, and one day my seat, awaited him. I gazed at it with sadness in my eyes.

All the wisdom to lead
All the courage that you'll need
You will find when you’ll see
We are one

He gazed between me and the throne, noticing my gaze. He walked towards me and took me in his arms. “As long as you live here, it’s who you are.” He said and kissed my cheek, taking his leave from the room. I looked at the door and opened it. I walked out of the hall and into the gardens, settling near the tree.