{19} Happy

{Ophelias POV}

I watch the sunrise over the ocean from the balcony. I sit crosslegged on one of Johns patio chairs, feeling the light morning breeze through my hair as i drink my coffee. The heat from the cup warms my hands and makes me feel cozy.

Last night was my first sleep at Johns place and I've already decided that mornings were calmer in NYC for some reason. Its still hard going to bed without George, i miss him everyday and our dirty phone call last night didn't help. I think about him more and more these days where I can't see him and it pains my heart.

"Good morning, sunshine." I look over my shoulder to the sound of Johns gruff voice. He takes a deep breath and looks out at the gorgeous hues of orange, pink and blue in the sky. "Beautiful, isn't it?" I nod to the sun and i hum in agreement, taking out a cigarette from my pack. "Why the long face, doll face?" John asks as he turns to face me, pulling out a chair and taking a seat to my left.

"Just thinking about George." I say, lighting my fag.

"Ah." His head drops, not knowing exactly what to say. "You didn't come back downstairs after your phone call, was everything alright?" He asks eventually.

"Oh... yeah." I say. "Everything was fine." Shrugging when i feel my cheeks heat up.

"Good." He nods, puffing his cig. The cool morning wind nipping my toes and i try to curl them under me on the patio chair. "Cold?" He asks.

"A bit." I shrug.

"Well, lets go inside then. No point in being out in all this cold." He says as he gets up and offers me a hand. I smile and take it to follow him inside. His hand was impossibly warmer than mine and sent shivers up my arm he rubs the back of my hand with his thumb. "Say... your birthday is this weekend isn't it?" He asks as we walk into the kitchen.

Oh shit thats right, oh my god I'm almost 18! "Oh right, damn time went by fast." I marvel, taking a seat on the island while John puts a pan on the stove, cooking breakfast probably.

"Almost an adult in the eyes of the law, ey? You excited?" He smiles. Of course I'm excited, I can't wait to see George again, i swear as soon as the clock strikes twelve on my birthday I'm boarding a plane back home. Although i know I'll miss this place.

"I can't wait." I shake my head with a grin.

"What do you say we go out today, huh? Get you some new clothes?"

"Really?"

"Yeah! It'll be fun. We'll get some lunch too, get into the hustle and bustle of the big city while you're here. What do you think?"  He looks at me with that usual childish giddiness he always has. How could i say no to him?

"I'd love to, that sounds fun."

"Fabulous!"

~

{12:00 pm:}

The summer air in New York City is almost the same in England, the heats drier back home. John and I walk hand in hand down the street as we look for boutiques. He's in some sort of disguise, or at least thats what he told me it was when we got ready this morning. Its simply a cap and dark sunglasses. He squeezes my smaller hand in his.

"You look beautiful." He looks down at me. I blush at the unexpected compliment.

"Really?"

"Of course you do, you always do. You're a very rare bird, Lia. The kind men only ever hear of." I scoff. "What?!" Now i laugh.

"You're crazy." I shake my head with a smile.

"No. I mean yes, maybe a little bit..." This makes me laugh and he chuckles at my amusement at his expense. "But just because I'm crazy doesn't mean I'm blind!"