Amelie

I stared at the dust particles that danced in the sunlight above my head. I had been waiting patiently for the exam season to end, and now that summer was here, I was in momentary paralysis. My thoughts were something that I could never escape. They would swirl around in my head like the dust that swirled above it, catching any worry from the past like a spider's web so I could ponder on it. But today, instead of the past, I couldn't help but fear the imminent future.

The next two weeks were going to be a struggle of spontaneity. Frankie and Maddie had planned them, and in doing so, had ensured they had created every opportunity to make unforgettable memories, especially as we had just completed our final year of university. But for me, everything felt so new. It had been so long since I had dressed up to go out, let alone walk into a pub or club. Instead, I had become accustomed to pottering about life by myself, avoiding any judgements or engaging in any awkward conversations that the world consistently felt the need to throw at me. Now I had become so content with life inside, it felt like I had forgotten how to do life on the outside...

1

After a sweltering train ride, and even sweatier tube journey, we arrived in Central London where the quest to find the apartment commenced. Whilst we had a rough idea of the location, it was deeming harder to find than we originally expected. The streets were bustling. Groups of men and women hoarded them, searching the pavements like insects of a jungle floor, aimlessly looking for a place to gather in the summer's heat. This made it even more difficult to navigate our way, especially with our suitcases dragging behind us.
Men dressed in suits brushed briskly past us, their faces temporarily freezing in our direction, long enough for me to notice their brows percolating sweat. Weaving between them were women dressed in an array of colours, some suited looking as equally uncomfortable as the males, others, looking fresh and cool in their flowing dresses. Yet despite the sweat that radiated from their bodies, these people looked ready for business, whereas we, well we looked like we had been dragged from Devon, standing out in the crowd for all the wrong reasons, dressed in sweatpants with our curled hair stuck to our faces and white t-shirts fading into a translucent shade of see through.
Luckily for us however, even looking rather drab, Frankie who beheld an alluring natural beauty, still caught the eye of many men who passed her by, especially with her lost and bewildered face, and it was this vulnerable and innocent face that fortunately attracted the help of one specific man who approached and greeted her with intrigue. He began to address the group before directly offering her directions in return for a drink later that day; jokingly or seriously, I wasn't too sure, but of course Frankie being Frankie accepted, and she was soon guiding us down the road.
Let me introduce you to Frankie: a carefree spirit/maneater who swoons over attention from members of the other sex. If she hasn't been 'pulled' on a night out, the night hasn't been a success. Does she have any trouble pulling? Absolutely not... But she is dangerous. A danger to herself due to her carelessness when it comes to men, and a danger to men, because of her ruthlessness.
''Where did he want to meet you for a drink Frank?'' I inquired.
''Oh I don't know, I only said yes for directions,'' she smirked ''I'm not actually going to go am I!''
''I never know with you. You didn't give him the full address, did you?''
''No! Of course not. Just the road name.'' she responded.
I sighed in relief as the potential of this man turning up on our doorstep quickly diminished. Fortunately, however, her fearless efforts had led us to the road of the apartment only moments later and although her behaviour was already causing my anxiety havoc, I couldn't be more excited at the thought of getting out of the 25-degree heat.
''This is it,'' Mads said through a widening smile.
We entered through the glass revolving doors into an extravagant marble-floored and air-conditioned lobby- what a feeling. The feeling of instant pleasure ran across my skin, briefly raising goosebumps on its surface to expose my delight at the welcomed change in heat. But bar the air con which was completely necessary, everything else that adorned the exceedingly large room seemed incredibly over the top. Not only did crystal chandeliers hang from the ceiling and reflect in wall length mirrors to create a shimmer across the floor, but top hatted doormen secured every entrance and exit of the place. I couldn't remember Mads booking such an affluent apartment, but it appeared she had managed to find a place, and the money, for somewhere that was oozing in luxury. I definitely didn't belong here.