4

I had no idea what time the others got home last night but it must have been before dawn as I had managed to wake as planned to witness sunrise. Of course, it was everything I expected and more; more because it was enjoyed with a freshly ground coffee and more because it was also the perfect reason to sneak out before Jordan woke and wanted to warn me the kiss from the previous evening was a mistake.

I found myself in the garden, laying on the black futon where I watched the deep caramelised oranges reflect against the water in the far distance as the sun peeked from behind the horizon. Amongst the oranges, one intensely strong beam of white light pierced towards me, highlighting every gentle ripple of water in its path, only disrupted by a couple of silhouettes that slowly glided across the water along the quiet bay. No sound interrupted the serenity, no sound bar the soft foaming of water as it touched the shoreline.
I remained here for a couple of hours with a book until the rays of sun were finally fully beaming from the sky, at which point, bodies began to slowly emerge from their rooms, only to slouch like sloths across the sofas instead of their beds.
'Morning,'' I chirped.
Frankie was the first to produce a sound other than groan.
''Morning,'' she muttered.
''How was your night?'' I asked.
''Oh so good,'' she replied, suddenly perking up. ''We got talking to some guys at a bar who were talking about a pool party happening at a Monkey Beach Club today. It's only twenty minutes from here so we bought tickets for us all to go.''
''Including me?'' I asked.
''Yes!'' she exclaimed with a smile. ''And Jordan.''
''Why?'' Jordan groaned from the other side of the room before I got a chance to reply. I hadn't noticed him there. ''What if we didn't want to go?''
''Oh, we thought it was nice of us, but you don't have to come,'' replied Frankie returning back the groan.
''I mean, thanks, yeah I'll come, but please don't go buying me tickets for things,'' he said.
He must have still been agitated about being left behind last night.
''Amelie?'' she asked
''Yeah, I'm in,'' I replied.
Jordan shot me a sharp look of disapproval at my quick cop out answer before heading to the kitchen to make himself a coffee. Simultaneously, Frankie shot up and followed him, but instead of heading to the kettle, she headed to the fridge where she removed a bottle of prosecco and carton of fresh orange.
''Mimosa pre-drinks all round then,'' she shouted.
''That's my girl,'' wailed Mads emerging from her room.
She must have heard the prosecco pop.
It quickly became clear that the trip to Bali, as they had planned, was going to be a piss up abroad. I shouldn't have got my hopes up and expected any different, but I felt extremely disappointed at the fact that any cultural sites I was eager to see, were quite clearly going to be missing from the itinerary.
''What time are we leaving?'' Caleb asked.
''Midday sound good?'' replied Frank.

''Perfect.''
I rose from the now crowded sofa to the futon outside where I intended to spend the remainder of the morning back in peace with a book. In the deepened pocket of my kimono, I had managed to hide my notepad.

15st August 2021

I kissed Jordan. Or Jordan kissed me? Maybe both. Either way, it was just a kiss. Most likely a kiss that was a mistake, but now what?

I didn't know what other words to write.

1pm and we're at Monkey Beach Club.
Except the scantily dressed women that were draped around the DJ, their bodies clearly being exploited for the sole purpose of entertainment, the beach club itself was rather impressive. A large pool overlooking the sea dominated much of the area, with white bali beds placed orderly around its edge. Above the pool was a decked platform where the DJ stood; the volume so loud that the vibrations were causing my skull to tremor against my brain; and opposite the pool was a bar area, swarmed by waiters and waitresses who were clearly overwhelmed by orders with a strict table service only rule.
Frankie had booked two bali beds between us. Not enough room to lay down and relax with so many occupants- not that this was the place for relaxing- but enough space for us to perch and keep our belongings. On top of that, included in the booking price was a bottle of vodka which shortly arrived after we had sat down. Just a bottle of vodka mind you. No mixers.
The group split equally onto each bed and were distributed shot glasses, assumptively for a shot of the overpriced spirit.
''Cheers,'' screeched Maddie, clanking her shot glass profusely against everyone else's.
''Cheers'' echoed everyone's replies.
After a further order of more beers and cocktails, Frankie and Maddie were quick to the dance floor where they placed themselves in perfect view of Caleb and Mike. In their skimpy bikinis that flaunted every inch of their arse cheeks, they begun to roll their hips seductively, not quite in time with the music, but it was enough to hold not just the boy's attention, but multiple male gaze's from around the pool. They flung their arms into the air, flicking their curled hair as they did, before jumping around like overly excited children in a play area.
''Don't fancy dancing?'' asked Jordan.
''I don't really have the moves. Especially not moves like that anyway,'' I laughed.