Chapter 18: Goodbye

MARK'S POV

At first, I was taken aback by her sudden outburst but I was able to gather myself shortly.

"I-it's o-okay... I k-kind of get what you m-mean now", I said weakly after I have processed her words.

Yes, she had lied to me. And I know that I should be angry with her, but I just can't bring myself to do that. There was this really strange feeling inside me and it was making my chest feel tight. It felt as though I was going to lose her soon and I don't know why. All I know is that I will not let that happen.

My grip on her shoulders tightened and I stared intently into her eyes.

"Wendy, I really understand now. Honestly, I'm not affected by your words. REALLY. Even if you lied to me this once, I can forgive you. As long as you are staying here together with me again...", my words sounded a little desperate but that came deep down from the bottom of my heart.

Wendy sniffled loudly, trying to get her tears under control. Stroking my right cheek, she continued.

"Oppa. Mianhada."

"No, don't be", I caught her wrist and felt her hand.

"This can't be compared with the damage I have done to our relationship. Let us just end this shit and start all over."

However, Wendy didn't seemed as happy with my words when I expected her to be. She only retrieved her hand back from mine and shaking her head lightly, she said to me,

"No, we can't do this anymore..."

"What do you mean?", I stopped like I had taken a bullet to the guts.

"One day you'll hate me", she spoke again, with her head to the dusty ground.

"Why would you say such a thing? I love you. I can't live without you."

She was now gradually raising her eyes to meet mine, as if to let me know that she wasn't messing around.

"Mark, I don't want to ruin your future. It's what happens to great love when the expectations are too high. We'll be fine for a while, then the monotony of your job, family and fans will set in. I wouldn't always be there for you anymore. I'll forget our special days. Your friend circle will grow wider and you will be packed with more activities. I won't be exciting anymore. I'll be boring. Boring, because I'm so damn tired."

Although I couldn't see myself in the mirror, I knew that my face had lost what little colour it had had.

Agitatedly, I grabbed her shoulders again and shook her.

"WENDY LOH! How could you just say that? That's nothing more than a lousy excuse not to try. Or maybe you just don't love me?!", my eyes washed with the kind of tears that only come when people break in ways not easily repaired. But when I met her gaze, hers were just the same.

She did love me. So what was all this nonsense about hate?

"Let's breakup."

This is all so strange that I can hardly grasp what's going on around me. All I get is a heart-wrenching feeling of closure. I was too sad to even look at her or to say anything now. And I'm not even sure if I heard her right.

But as I sensed her gradually walking away from me, my heart cringed just at the bare thought of the possibility of losing her forever.

"Please don't go", I finally let out an uneven breath.

"Mark, trust me. You'll be fine without me. You always have been."

Maybe once, but not now.