Chapter 27: Back to square one

JESSICA'S POV

They say, the people who are always too nice to others are more likely to be taken for granted.

Now, I couldn't agree more to this saying.

Looking up, I am shocked to come face to face with a friend whom I have taken for granted for such a long time.

Her hand was grasping tight to my arm from the moment I took off from the concrete.

"Hang. In. There. Jessica. I will. Get you. Up soon", she clenched her teeth hard as she tried her best to pull me up.

However, in the process of doing so, she lost most of her strength, and I could find her body slowly sliding down together with me shortly after.

"WENDY! AN-DWAEEEE!", I could hear the others screaming behind her which then got me really worried and guilty.

"Wendy, let go of me. I don't deserve this", I cried as I attempted to push away her hands.

"A-NI! Don't move! We will only fall together if you do. Believe in me, nan hal su iss-eoyo!"

Sweat trickled down her back, free flowing like condensation on a window pane, it beaded on her forehead and dripped from her chin.

As I was still contemplating of whether or not to let go, another figure came up beside her.

"Give me your other hand Jessica", Mark instructed while I just stared vacantly into his eyes.

"Ppal-li!"

Reluctantly, I stretched out my arm towards him and he soon secured his hands around mine.

"Okay guys, on the count of three", he ordered.

"Hana, dul, SET!"

With one final strong pull, they all got me up safely back onto the concrete.

My eyes got teary once I caught sight of everyone collapsing onto the ground after saving me. I couldn't believe this. They have all worked together hand in hand just to save me after all that I have done to them.

I can feel it unraveling, the threads of every happy memory I could ever recall spending together with them, all but a disarray of strings scattered about my feet. My sharp knees dig into the earth as I hit the ground, my hands unsteady as they silently claw at the dirt.

Kwon Team jang became the first to approach me while the rest were still catching their breaths.

My eyes darted there as he had a pair of handcuffs. Then, he grabbed my hands and pinned me against the ground, pulling my hands behind my back and cuffing them together.

"Jessica Koh, you are now under arrest", he said into my ears as he pulled me up. Then turning back, he faced Mark and said to him,

"And Mark-ssi, please come along with us too. We will have to settle your case as well."

Just as I left, I met Wendy's eyes.

She was giving me a warm smile while nodding at me. And, I smiled back at her.

Indeed, I am truly thankful for her in saving my live. If it was me, I probably wouldn't have the guts to do so.

I proceeded on to look at the rest. GOT7, 15& and the other trainees.

The bond I had once shared with them had been like a bridge out of my fortressed mind, which had allowed me to set my foot outside. However, I know that I have gone too far and the bridge had been severed. Now, no matter how many people may surround me, I am alone.