Chapter Two

Issue 245, Volume One

Every moment is a fresh beginning -T

-T.S. Eliot

Lois handed the heavy box to Clark, the weight lifted off her arms. Emma rolled her eyes as she helped Jon with his stuff. "Jesus Christ! What is even in here?" Emma asked him, feeling her back break with every step she took. "Just my trophies and medals, a few game balls" Jon answered, not even noticing the weight in the box.

Emma looked at Jon with wide eyes. "That all" She spat, sarcasm dripping from her voice. Jon made a face as they walked up the steps to the house. "Hey, I found some chocolate. Want some?" Jordan offered the pair, holding the bar in his hands. "Please before I turn your brother foxy" Emma glared at Jon before smiling at Jordan as he handed her the bar. She broke off some before handing it to the other brother.

"Are you always this mean?" Jon asked, taking the bar from her harshly. "I lived with six boys, two being my brothers, three being my cousins and my father. I have a sister who is four and my mother. Being harsh is needed" Emma explained, eating the chocolate.

Jordan laughed at Jon's face, Emma smiling back in response. "Also Mom wants you outback" Jordan told Emma, making room for her to slide past.

Emma smiled at the infamous couple as she walked outside the house. It still felt surreal. Being in Smallville with the Kent Family and practically living with them. "How are you holding up?" Clark asked the teen, noticing the bags under her eyes. The reporter was no stranger to sleepless nights and neither was his wife.

Emma tilted her head at Clark's concern, smiling softly. "I'm grand. I've been in worse foster homes compared to a whole different universe" Emma compared, remembering the Lordans from when she was seven. Lois gave her the typical 'mammy's not impressed' stare. "Well, we wanted to ask you something before Cisco finishes the paperwork" Clark told her, hoping to get this done quickly.

Emma fixed her posture, waiting for one of them to continue. "Do you have any medical or mental health issues?" Lois asked her. Emma thought for a moment before answering. "Carpal Tunnel in my right arm" Emma informed them, shaking her arm around.

Clark raised his eyebrow, knowing the girl was lying about something. "Are you sure that's everything?" Lois asked, picking up on Clark's signal. "In my world, you guys are probably the most trustworthy people ever" Emma began, her voice raising a couple of octaves.

Lois and Clark had a strong feeling about where the girl was going. "Emma, it's okay if you don't want to tell us" Lois reminded her. "I know it's just... My childhood is very lock and key. I want to tell you guys but–" Emma stopped herself. "It's hard?" Clark guessed, listening to her heartbeat.