Chapter Eight

Listen To My Voice

'And I knew it. That's the worst part: I knew it'

-Unknown

Emma woke to her head on fire. Her alarm echoed in her ears like police sirens. She quickly moved her hand around to find her phone. She lifted her head from her pillow, her eyes searching for the voice of Zoe Wees alerting her with every lyric. Finally, she turned off her alarm as her curls suffocated her face.

She lay in bed for a few minutes, debating whether to get up for school or wait until Sienna dragged her out of bed. Her head was pounding like two sledgehammers fighting with her skull. She could hear a tap running, shavers buzzing and a kettle boiling. She tried to focus on the loudest one, hoping to ignore the other sounds.

It wasn't working.

She tried to think of something else for a moment, allowing her body to hone in on a sound to focus on naturally.

Thump...Thump...Thump

Emma tried to listen to it further, focusing on whoever's heartbeat she found

Thump...Thump...Thump

Slowly the sound of the running tap became backroom noise as she took a deep breath in.

"I can't do it. I'm sorry"

Emma gasped at Jordan's voice, hearing her heart racing. She could feel the heat burn on her cheeks. 'What the fuck Emma!? Why would you do that...Gods! Your a total creep' She scolded herself before pushing away her blanket.

She swung her legs to the edge of her bed, her covered feet hovering over the cold wooden floors. She took a moment to clear her head and just started the day fresh. Getting up, Emma grabbed a pair of sweatpants and searched her drawers for a hoodie to wear. She huffed as most of her warm ones were still in the washing machine. Yet her brain reminded her of the black one that was hanging on the back of her door.

It was the one that Jordan gave her the night she came to Smallville. She hadn't worn it much but something told her to put it on. She felt the fabric against her pale skin, her body slowly but surely warming up as the leaves turned brown outside her window. She hated the cold sometimes, still bewildered at how cold she was in Kansas compared to everyone else.

She grabbed her phone out of the charger, her eyes finding the folded piece of paper in her phone case. She sighed before walking out of her room.

She smiled at Sienna as her aunt closed a brown lunch bag for her. "How's the super-hearing?" She asked, fixing her shoe at the same time. "Okay, just a raging headache" Emma shrugged, having no energy at this hour of the morning. Sienna nodded, before taking out another test tube bottle.

Emma groaned at the sight. "Why can't I give this to Jordan? He's really struggling and I'm completely fine" She asked Sienna, still frustrated with this situation. "You are an Alor, which means on Krypton you would have had enhanced hearing anyways. If I gave this to Jordan it may make things worse" Sienna explained to Emma simply. Emma only huffed and rolled her eyes muttering under her breath.