Chapter Ten

You're Not Alone, John

'Many people live and die without ever confronting themselves in the darkness'

-Carmen Maria Machado

Sienna knocked on Emma's door, "Emma, come on! I know you're awake" she sighed, hearing the small giggles coming from her niece. Emma was tucked under her heavy blanket, her phone in her hands as she was typing. Her cheeks were red as she texted Jordan. Their conversation only contained love-sick memes and emojis. It had only been a day since they sort of got together and yet Emma couldn't help but feel like a little kid.

"Emma Victoria Margaret Ní Chroídheán! We need to go, for the love of Rao, just be dressed in the next half an hour!" Sienna gave up, walking away from the closed door. Emma finally left her bed's warm embrace, feeling the cold hardwood floors with her feet. She was too tired to change properly, grabbing the nearest hoodie and sweatpants after putting her bra and socks on. She left her head down, hardly brushing it as she grabbed her flash converse.

Sienna had a look of sweet relief when Emma turned the corner for the kitchen, grabbing the handle of the fridge door. "I thought you had succumbed to your bed" She commented as Emma pulled out a can of monster. "Close but Jordan convinced me to get up" Emma answered bluntly like she wasn't an absolutely flustered mess less than five minutes ago. "Jordan? That's who you were texting?" Sienna asked her. "Yeah, we kinda got together last night" Emma shrugged as her phone buzzed. The minute Emma saw who had texted her, she went from dead inside to a kid in a candy shop.

Her aunt was amazed by the sudden mood change topped by the information she was given. "You're with Jordan, Emma, that's amazing!" Sienna smiled at her. "Yeah, it feels...right. I don't think I've felt like this since I got adopted... I actually feel like I'm fifteen and not like thirty" Emma explained, feeling her heart flutter. She was actually happy which was super weird for her. "You can tell me all about it in the car, come on" Sienna said, grabbing her niece by her shoulders and walking her out the door.

<><><>

Emma followed Sienna as she entered the school; she didn't want to be near this death trap on a Saturday. Emma almost tripped over her own two feet when she felt someone catch her. She was hoisted back on her feet gently with a familiar laugh behind her. She turned her head, rolling her eyes as Jordan gave her a goofy grin.

"You have no idea how fucking clique this is to me, do you?" Emma asked him, crossing her arms. "Really?" he asked her, raising his eyebrows at Emma. "Do you know how many times I have seen multiple versions of your parents do the whole 'she falls and he catches her' thing that can make any girl's heart flutter?" Emma explained, her cheeks turning red. "Did your heart flutter?" Jordan tried not to laugh as Emma's face went bright red.